Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #1

Question Pics of Desnorkal

Ive read very many informative threads on this procedure but havent came to one where the pics show (Red X's) due to the thread being older, does anyone have any pics of what it looks like or DIY? Thanks!

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Ive read very many informative threads on this procedure but havent came to one where the pics show (Red X's) due to the thread being older, does anyone have any pics of what it looks like or DIY? Thanks!
Here you go. Enjoy the new sound-

http://porscheboy.5u.com/desnork.htm

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #3

Muchos Gracias! And dont forget the 3-5.5 whp HP increase
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterLewis
Muchos Gracias! And dont forget the 3-5.5 whp HP increase
No problem.

I really like this mod, but was thinking that it's possible to improve upon it even more by creating a smoother path of air into the intake hole section. If you look at the snorkel tube, it has a curved trumpet at the end, which I assume acts like a venturi to suck air in faster. I was thinking of maybe fabricating a trumpet to fit into the hole back there and also dremeling out the honey comb plastic surrounding the hole to a smooth finish, so as to further smooth out the airflow. Anyone try this before?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #5

Spend a couple bucks and get an Evo Hi-Flo and remove the whole factory air box. Best bang for the buck and incredible induction sound. Couple it with secondary cat bypass pipes; you've got music and a Boxster that sounds like a Porsche.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Spend a couple bucks and get an Evo Hi-Flo and remove the whole factory air box. Best bang for the buck and incredible induction sound. Couple it with secondary cat bypass pipes; you've got music and a Boxster that sounds like a Porsche.
Thanks. I was thinking about the Evo too, but have read a lot about possible CEL/MAF issues if you over oil the filter, as well as it not being a true sealed off system as the stock intake is (it's open at the top, right?). I'm sure it does sound awesome though.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #7

Has anyone with an 03 or 04 desnorkeled? Porsche redesigned the snorkel for the 03/04 model and got rid of the shovel or catch tray at the end. Just wondering if there is still a profound difference in sound ect. Also, the intake vent is one piece on the 03/04 and slighty different and there is a screen. Anybody have a write up or better advice on how to remove the vent on the later models? I removed the screw and gave it a tug and that sucker isn't wanting to move. I can't feel or see any little tabs that suppossedly hold it on.

Last edited by Adam; 05-20-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #8

The box is open at the top, but the cone filter isn't exposed to the engine compartment due to the factory engine cover. The CEL problem stems from over oiling. You don't need to spray half a can of oil on the filter to provide protection.
Always oil sparingly, wipe down with clean cloth, then dry with newspaper. Do this once a year, unless you're into offroading. Haven't had a single problem on any of my cars (especially the Box) using this method.

The sound when on hard throttle is just superb...
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:36 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
The box is open at the top, but the cone filter isn't exposed to the engine compartment due to the factory engine cover. The CEL problem stems from over oiling. You don't need to spray half a can of oil on the filter to provide protection.
Always oil sparingly, wipe down with clean cloth, then dry with newspaper. Do this once a year, unless you're into offroading. Haven't had a single problem on any of my cars (especially the Box) using this method.

The sound when on hard throttle is just superb...
Yeah, the idea is growing on me. One of my buds also fabricated his own seal for the top section for better protection from hot air getting into his intake.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-21-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #10

Nice pic.

Update:
I performed the desnorkeling last night and my butt dyno tells me i gained 5 hp And the sound is definitely louder!
Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Has anyone with an 03 or 04 desnorkeled? Porsche redesigned the snorkel for the 03/04 model and got rid of the shovel or catch tray at the end. Just wondering if there is still a profound difference in sound ect. Also, the intake vent is one piece on the 03/04 and slighty different and there is a screen. Anybody have a write up or better advice on how to remove the vent on the later models? I removed the screw and gave it a tug and that sucker isn't wanting to move. I can't feel or see any little tabs that suppossedly hold it on.
Since I didn't get a reply I assume that nobody with an 03 or 04 on here has desnorked? Interesting.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Since I didn't get a reply I assume that nobody with an 03 or 04 on here has desnorked? Interesting.
Or maybe not many folks here have an 03. I think you still would get an increase in intake sound even without the cup at the end of the snorkel tube because the 97-99 Boxsters also did not have the cup at the end, and plenty of those cars have been desnorked.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Or maybe not many folks here have an 03. I think you still would get an increase in intake sound even without the cup at the end of the snorkel tube because the 97-99 Boxsters also did not have the cup at the end, and plenty of those cars have been desnorked.
Are you sure?? I'm pretty sure 97-99 had the cup too. I saw it on a guys 97 boxster at a car show.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Are you sure?? I'm pretty sure 97-99 had the cup too. I saw it on a guys 97 boxster at a car show.
Then they had a newer snorkle in the car because I'm certain they didn't have the cup...just a curved trumpeted end, but no cup at the end of the snork.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #15

03 Desnork question

Quote:
Adam,

I have an 03 S almost exactly like yours and was wondering the same thing about desnork. Have you ever thought about changing the exhaust? I am reading as much as I can about it and looking and listening to exhausts on youtube to help me make up my mind, but like you I would like to know about the desnork before I take the plunge and change the exhaust.
h20break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20break
Adam,

I have an 03 S almost exactly like yours and was wondering the same thing about desnork. Have you ever thought about changing the exhaust? I am reading as much as I can about it and looking and listening to exhausts on youtube to help me make up my mind, but like you I would like to know about the desnork before I take the plunge and change the exhaust.
Well, I try not to hijack this thread too much, but my plan eventually is to run Fabspeed headers and their cat delete pipes while keeping the muffler stock. I think this will give me enough of a bump in the noise level while also giving a bump in hp. I don't want anything crazy loud, but if it's still not loud enough then I'll swap out the stock muffler and probably go to a Stebro sport system. Nobody on here has the fabspeed headers because they cost so much, but they seem to be the way to go.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #17

You're not hijacking it, I already did it and can't wait to drive home from work to hear the new sound Oh and drink some booz.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #18

Cool

My 98 Box had a cup. Other than navigating the silly keepers of the air intakes, this is a quick job with immediate results. I get a smile at every stop light/sign that I can go from 1st-3rd and hear the growl. Too easy not to do!
60drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #19

I have an evo intake and love it, except I get a cel from time to time when the air filter fouls the maf. Thanks to someone here on the forum, I found a company called AEM. They make dry conical filters. Popped one into my evo and now I have the best of all worlds. Just food for thought.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #20

I think I'm going to desnorkal my car this weekend. After reading these threads it seems easy and worth doing. I just have one question, if for some reason I don't like the new louder sound with the snorkal out, is it difficult to re-install it?

Thanks

Last edited by Couper1; 05-24-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote