Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #1

When the dealer plugs his computer into your car...

What can he tell besides the usual codes?
I mention it because I think I read the computer will register an 'over rev'ed' situation..

If so, how long would it retain the memory? What else get's into memory?

I'm going to end up with a car off lease where I will never speak to the owner, nor know the dealer who serviced the car..and what was done.

Jim

wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #2

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1225&st=0&#entry5243
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:16 AM   #3

A Porsche dealer can enter the car VIN into the Porsche warranty system and it will display all warranty work done on the car. Not regular maint. items like oil changes, but things that were charged to the warranty.
That system also identifies the dealer that did the work, so you can perhaps use that to track the car back to the dealer that originally sold the car.
I had the same situation with my car, i.e, no maint. records from the lease period.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:35 AM   #4

Thanks guys... I like the idea of 'knowing' (some of) the unknowable. That Vin. read is the Kardex, eh?

T-P: Can you help me read this....

Is that: 34,000 starts in range one - and 14 starts in range 2? ...and 'starts' are really just running periods, no?

I understand the Total Hours. I guess you could casually guestimate the avg. trip in this car if you knew the age and whether it was from Montana or the Bronx. ....kind of like the number of takeoff/landings on your average 747. (we don't want to know this one...)

Thanks

Jim

wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote