Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

New Boxster Owner! Car Towed After 2 Days Owned...

Hello All,

This is my second post, but I've been surfing this forum for months doing research.

I bought a beautiful 2001 Boxster with 60k miles on Wednesday afternoon from a reputable used car dealer, which drove great, had all service records, and passed a PPI. Only thing that appeared to be wrong was a few rattles from the doors (which are being fixed by the dealer), and a torn shift boot (also being replaced by the dealer).

On friday night I pulled out of work on the highway and half way through 2nd gear I heard a decently loud pop from behind and below me, and I had lost my gear. At first I thought I might have just knocked it out of gear, because I still felt normal clutch pressure, but no gear would engage. Engine sounded and revved fine, and the clutch felt normal, and it even seemed like I could find a gear, but nothing would engage.

I was able to coast into a Ford dealer, where the guys there (while giving me alot of playful pot-shots) helped me push the car into a parking spot on their secured lot and allowed me to leave it there until the morning. I contacted my dealer, they towed it and provided me with a loaner.

I insisted that the car go to the local Porsche dealer, but they said to contain their own costs they want their senior tech to look at it first to see if they can fix it, however I'm just getting so worried about my new car.

What shall I do. And if it makes a difference, I live in NJ, but purchased the car in PA.

Thanks in advance for the help!

concept84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #2

While it is certainly disheartening to have your new baby already kicking up a fuss, I would let the dealer try to fix the problem. They seem like they are acting in good faith. So try playing nice with them. It may be a linkage problem that they can easily fix and that no one could have forseen as a problem. Be a little patient and keep a positive attitude. If things don't work out there is plenty of time to fight later.

Regards,
Alan
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure but what you descibed sounds similar to what happened to them in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGiFQPGwRxE

If that is what happened it is a very simple fix. Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #4

That video shows pretty much what happened to me, however I could have sworn I found gears after the car broke, but maybe that was just my imagination.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #5

Just got word from the dealer and they tell me they don't think its the transmission, but the axle bolts.

I just started convincing myself it was something really minor and normal, now I'm getting really worried all over again.

They will be calling me back shortly with a full diagnosis.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would continue to insist that any repair be done at a Porsche dealer. They may want to cover their costs but the last thing you need is there mechanic who has probably never worked on a Porsche messing up the car even more.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #7

If it just the axle bolts let them repair it... very simple to fix.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #8

Wow I'm sorry to hear about your problems, that really bites. I'm a new boxster owner myself...just picked mine up Thursday...I'M PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR CAR! Keep the faith...I'm sure it will be something minor!

Good Luck brother!
bluesbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #9

It did turn out to be just the axle bolts, but the dealer keeps dodging my request to at least have the local Porsche dealer take a look at the work performed, and to give it a quick once over to make sure that no other problems exist.

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept84
It did turn out to be just the axle bolts, but the dealer keeps dodging my request to at least have the local Porsche dealer take a look at the work performed, and to give it a quick once over to make sure that no other problems exist.

If you are that worried, just let them fix what they think needs to be fixed, and then bring it yourself to a Porsche dealer to have them do a look over. If they end up finding the used car dealer messed up the repair or find that there's other things wrong with the car, then you can think about some sort of recourse.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:36 AM   #11

If that is what it comes down to I think I will.

I just hate the thought of having to spend money on maintenance less than a week after buying the car.

It should be ready today so I'll post what happens a bit later.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept84

look, get the car back, say thank you, and take it to a Porsche dealer. The used car guys are probably super nice, but if they mess something up that is expensive,(which can happen real fast on a Porsche), they wont be nice anymore, and stick you with the bill.

Stick to the dealer, or a local Porsche shop. In the long run it will make your time with your Porsche more enjoyable...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #13

So I have the car back, and I'm completely loving it!

The dealership was very accommodating and actually found a few other minor things that they took care of. They also sent it through detail again before I picked it up which was nice.

I'm still taking it over to Porsche to have everything looked at, just in case.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #14

Concept, I'm happy to hear you've got your Boxster back....since we both got our cars around the same time I was feeling your pain...and getting alittle paranoid of how "hard" I've been driving my car

Get some pics up !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg
bluesbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #15

I was planning on it today, but its raining.

Everyday I try and get some good pics it rains, unfortunately.