Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #21

I'd say look at the Falken Ziex ZE-912. Fairly quiet, good wear, all weather capable, good ride and inexpensive.

silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 AM   #22

the Fuzion ZRi is made by bridgestone. they're around $500 for a set of four and last a good long time. they're also sticky & fairly quiet. i've even taken them on the track; they hold up very well.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #23

GRM did a budget tire test last month and rated the Falken higher. It was faster around a track, more comfortable and about the same noise level. The fuzion has better feel on turn in, but the Falken had better overall grip and is an all season that will deal with everything up to light snow pretty well.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver arrow
GRM did a budget tire test last month and rated the Falken higher. It was faster around a track, more comfortable and about the same noise level. The fuzion has better feel on turn in, but the Falken had better overall grip and is an all season that will deal with everything up to light snow pretty well.
interesting. from personal experience, the Fuzion ZRi felt EXACTLY like the high dollar RE-01R on the track, but was about a half second slower per lap for me. the RE-01R was a 1G tire; i ran around .94G with the Fuzion..

i should also add that the RE-01R lasted a good while. i really didn't like the feel of it for the price; it was a little soft. this is odd, because it was the stiffest tire i have ever mounted. VERY hard to get it on the rim. for medium priced tires, i like the BFG KDW2. VERY precise feel, good grip, GREAT in the wet, and reasonable wear.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg

Last edited by insite; 08-18-2008 at 08:58 AM.
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I put BFGoodrich GForce Sports all the way around. About 12,000 miles on the back pair, and they have plenty of tread left. Probably another 12k miles or so.

They are not as sticky as other tires, so be prepared for that, but they will last quite a bit longer. Since the car was/is my daily driver (have a motorcycle now, too), I wanted something that would last longer.
I also use my Boxster as my daily driver (my camry is used ONLY for large grocery loads/hardware store runs) and put Goodrich G Force's on. EXTREMELY satisfied with their wear/comfort/noise levels. And they're nearly silent at high speeds. They dont' handle at the limits like Pirellis, but when a torrential downpour catches me offguard, at least I can still drive.

And it still handles pretty happily. Highly recommended. In fact, if anyone in SF needs tires, the Big O on Geary has a Hunter 9700 for alignments, and are pretty flexible when it comes to haggling on labor. I got my tires at the best price I found online (they price match) and I got their recycling/junk fees/labor to mount/balance/and do a proper alignment for $200 even.

Jon
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #26

Interesting to read about you two who are happy with the BFGs. I have the same times on my road wheels, and I despise them. They track like crazy, and the handling performance doesn't justify the harshness of the ride.

The Yokohama S.Drive's I have on my other set of wheels handle much better - no tracking. Only complaint on those is the sidewalls are a little soft, so I run a few more PSI to compensate.

I definitely won't buy the BFG's again - I will buy more Yokohamas, though.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #27

Does anybody rotate their tires side to side to even out the camber wear? Is this even permissable?
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Does anybody rotate their tires side to side to even out the camber wear? Is this even permissable?
eye due
Old 11-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #29

any vibration problems when you did it??
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:58 AM   #30

"Get the Nexen N3000's. Even if you don't get as many miles as NickCats does (or more), they're so cheap that it doesn't matter. I had a new set on my car when I bought it, they were quiet, had good dry and wet traction, stayed in balance, and wore about as well as anything does on a Boxster. "

These really are good tires for the money, hard to imagine a better deal. I use them as my winter tires. They do well in the wet, they are quiet and they wear very well. They are not an especially sticky tire but this too can have its advantages. For one, its easier to break the rear wheels loose when doing sporty driving. Thats kinda of fun sometimes and when you do it with the Nexens, you dont feel like you just left 50.00 worth of PS2 rubber on the road (my summer tires) every time you do it .

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #31

I'm running the Bridgestone Potenza 9060AS all season tires on my 03 Boxster S. I've only put 6,000 miles on them so far but they still look like new. They are quiet and for me, they handle great given my driving style (my Boxster will never see a race track, but I do like to take off fast and run it up the red line).

Dave S.