Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Problems with new Glass Robbins Top

So it's been three weeks since I got my new Robbins top with the glass window installed. Robbins suggests waiting three days to put the top down so that the canvas cas stretch and settle. I was going to wait a week to be safe and the shop I took it to said play it even safer and wait two weeks. So I waited two weeks to the second. I finally got to put my top down. It went down fine but when I tried to close the top it was very difficult to get it to hook in and close the latch but I finally got it. Just very very tight. The second time I put my top down the top frame at the elbow joint gets caught on the convertible top cover and cannot clear it as both parts are folding.

Since then I've left it up.

I'm going to be dropping it back off at the shop in a couple of days. They've been working on Porsches for 30 years but this is the first Robbins top they've installed on a Boxster. So I'm thinking this is an installation problem and not a problem with the top itself. So before I take it back I just wanted to ping you guys and see if anyone else who's installed this top has had any problems, and specifically this problem. It looks great when the top is up but until I get it fixed I no longer have a convertible

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest

Last edited by TimAustinW; 05-02-2008 at 05:49 PM.
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #2

I installed my Robbins top just before winter myself and yes it was extremly tight almost could not get it to close. I didn't take it down until this spring. The first few times I had to help it close, now it will almost close with no help. Seems to go up and down just fine.

The problem I am having is it got up to 80 degrees a couple of weeks ago for the first time (Salt Lake City, Utah) and the glue around the window heated up and came loose.

I talked to Robbins they were very friendly. They said they had some tops go out with bad glue and they are in the process of replacing them. They are shipping me a new top this week. I just wish I didn't have to put it on again......not that fun!!!!! We'll see if this new one holds up.

This was my 3rd top. 1st one window cracked and porsche replaced it under waranty. That one only lasted 2 years and cracked again...this time no waranty. I bought the robbins top with glass thinking this would be my last top, guess I was wrong, here we go for number 4

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Tim,

I bought a very early GAHH top about 3 years ago and eventually experienced their problem with the glass separating from the top. That top was replaced with a new one. During these top changes I experienced a couple of problems and can give you some possible causes.

First, my top is still harder to latch when compared to my original top. I think it has loosened over time, but it still takes more effort to latch and probably always will. I choose to leave it as is because it works well and isn't that big of a deal for me.

The other problem I experienced is the top edges on both sides wouldn't always go in the grooves along the tops of the windows when closing. I had several broken parts that were replaced when my second top was installed. I think they were broken during the install of my first top. Here are some pictures of the broken parts:

There is supposed to be a pin in the hole that allows this part to rotate properly when the top is lowered/raised. The pin wouldn't stay in position because some plastic tabs were broken on the other side of the hole.

This is the other side with the pin in place.

This piece has some broken tabs on the vertical part.

I think the broken pieces on my original GAHH top caused these straps to be stressed and to break.

My second GAHH was installed by another shop that found and replaced the broken parts. The top now works very well. GAHH was great and covered all costs. Despite these issues I love the top and am glad I went with it.

I'm not familiar with the Robbins top and of course don't know exactly what is causing your problems. These are just a few things to look for that may helpful to you or someone searching in the future.

Peter Serbanica installs tops and will hopefully chime in with more insight.

Best of luck,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #4

Hello, I install tops in New Jersey for 38 years. I am very familar with all Porsches. I have been using GAHH for over 20 years. They are the first to make a boxster top with a glass window. They had issues with the field test, but have mastered their top. They are a great company and stand behind their product.

I was wondering how long it would take until Robbins would have issues with their glass conversion tops. I think it has only been a year or so since they introduced their glass conversion top. I am not happy with their customer service and their labor payment for a replacement of a defective top is a cheap miata top.

The plastic side pieces, can be used if a little broken as the tension of the top will hold them in. As for the side cables, perhaps the screw hodling cable (or lock washer missing) is too loose. Also, perhaps cable is too long. Try loosening the screw and pushing cable end inward while tightening the screw.
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
So as it turns out it just needed an adjustment.

Hats off to TPWS Inc in Austin. They did a great job on my retro fit glass top. I would highly recommend them if you need your top replaced!!!!
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:38 PM   #6

Wink

I'm thinking of converting to glass window top sometime in the future. So THANKS so much for the great info..

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote