Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #1

Radio wont turn ON!

Hello

I have a boxster 02. And the battery has been dead over the winter. I cant seem to access the code option, like nothing will turn on the radio, no lights or anything can someone please help?

Thanks

yellowboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
try removing the face, the placing it back on... press ON then if that doesnt work, make sure your car can start (in others words your battery isnt dead still) then press ON.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
im thinking your fuse for ur radio may be shot.. then, that wont explain the headlights too but recently my radio wouldn't turn on and i got it checked out and it turned out to be a blown fuse and i needed a new one -- just a guss but i think the battery is most likely dead or u have had something happen to ur electrical components over the winter
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #4

Battery is brand new now. Headlights work and nothing else seems out of place.
yellowboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #5

Check the fuse in the fuse panel and replace it.

If that doesn't work, pull the radio and check the fuse on the back of it.

You should then get the word CODE on the front of it and using your four digit code will unlock it.

No code? Head to a dealership with proof of ownership and they'll look it up for you. They must pull the radio and get the serial number off it, so this can't be done over the phone.

If the display doesn't light up, replace the radio because it's a piece of crap anyway. Porsche never puts quality audio equipment in their cars because all Germans know the sound of the engine is music to one's ears and a radio is a necessary evil for Americans.

PS - just thought of something else. If nothing works after two fuse replacements, try jiggling the key and push in and pull out a bit while turning on the car. There's a remote possibility that it might be your ignition switch, which resides behind the key assembly in the dash. Don't worry, it's cheap to fix.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #6

Bad ignition switch could be a good call !

So could dirty corroded contacts on the faceplate. Everything depends on the Faceplate mounted controls communicating to the Head Unit. This is all accomplished through the dozen or so contacts.

Clean them all on both units using a Q-tip and some alcohol. Then reattach the faceplate making sure all the contacts are properly aligned between both units. This is very often the cause of radio troubles.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote