Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:18 AM   #1

will a big guy fit???

i have been looking at buying an older boxer (97-01) i stopped by the local porsche dealer and they were not very friendly,,they had an 06 on the lot that i asked to sit in and they gave me the run around ...so after 10-15 min i gave up and left the dealership.. i wanted to sit in it to see if i would fit..i am 6'4 290 kinda built like a football player, i do not mind a tight fit but i am wondering if i will be even able to drive it...if any big guys out there could chime in and let me know there experinces, that would be great ...thanks guys,,,scott

scottcoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcoda
i have been looking at buying an older boxer (97-01) i stopped by the local porsche dealer and they were not very friendly,,they had an 06 on the lot that i asked to sit in and they gave me the run around ...so after 10-15 min i gave up and left the dealership.. i wanted to sit in it to see if i would fit..i am 6'4 290 kinda built like a football player, i do not mind a tight fit but i am wondering if i will be even able to drive it...if any big guys out there could chime in and let me know there experinces, that would be great ...thanks guys,,,scott
Everyone's dimensionally different and likes a different driving position. There's no way to anyone can tell you if you'd be comfortable. Try a different dealer or see if someone selling their car will allow you to come by for a test drive.

You should know, the 987 interior is a little bigger than the 986, so don't try one and make a decision about the other. Also, the seats are height adjustable, if you pull up on the horizontal lever on the side of the seat and push back, the seat will drop.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-27-2008 at 06:08 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
bmussatti

Scottcoda, the NFL is looking for guys like you! Look at yesterday's draft.

Blue gave you good advice.

Too bad there are too many arrogant Porsche dealerships. That was the main reason I did not buy my car in the Chicago area, and I have more than 6 to choose from.

FWIW, you have 2 inches on me and about 80 pounds but I fit more comfortably in the Boxster than I do in my Explorer or wife's E320.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #4

You'll fit okay. I'm about as long in my legs as in my torso and stand 6'3" at 360lbs and the only thing that bothers me time to time is the centre console near my right knee. I understand that you can purchase a delete kit for the console but haven't as of yet.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #5

As far as the console hitting your knee, try the "center console delete" sold at Suncoast Motorsports (www.e-partssales.com), I'm a big ass guy and bought this kit (about $125) which takes out the lower dash section (cd/storage area) and replaces it with a plastic molded carpet panel. You would not believe the difference this makes! I was actually thinking of selling my box because I was so uncomfortable, and now I have tons of room.
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:35 PM   #6

Wink

I have a 98 box. I'm 6'4" 220lbs. I fit quite fine.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #7

Call the sales manager of that dealership and tell him how you were treated.

Ask if he will open the friggin' car up for you to sit in if you come by and ask for him personally.

Then hang up the phone and wait for the faint sounds of arse-chewing at the dealership.

That is unconscionable and he will wonder what on earth his sales people missed during training and probably question his own ability to hire quality people.

Please reply to this thread and mention the name of that dealership so the 10,000 members of this forum know to avoid it like the plague.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #8

mine has no center console which makes it feel much more roomy and give's it a kinda retro look too, you do get used to nothing being there.

jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote