Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #21

No, I think you're spot on gm. There were a few "get the S" posts and then I had to read Lil Bastards torque multiplier post a few times before I completely understood the point, all of which had me thinking it was worth it to buck up for the S. I was originally debating between Base vs. S, but now I honestly think it's 2.5 vs 2.7. Have to find out of there are any real advantages to the 2.7 model. The 2.5 reviews and video tests all raved about the car. Sure, that was 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean the car no longer handles the same. Can't wait for Saturday so I can get some seat time and start to make some opinions based on actual driving instead of virtual research.

Honestly, if there's no noticeable difference, I'd rather pick up the 2.5 and then do some cosmetic improvements...it has to look as good as it drives after all.

Topshelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf
No, I think you're spot on gm. There were a few "get the S" posts and then I had to read Lil Bastards torque multiplier post a few times before I completely understood the point, all of which had me thinking it was worth it to buck up for the S...

You may have missed my point. The Tiptronic acts as a torque multiplier. With that, you won't notice the difference in power/torque near as much as you would if you had a Base Manual car.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #23

Topshelf, if you decide to go for the 2.5, check mine out its super clean fully serviced and has lots of upgraded.

Good luck with you search
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #24

Yeah, I did miss your point at first. Without beating a dead horse here, I believe you're saying that going from a Base Tip to an S Tip wouldn't seem like a huge difference. While going from a Base Manual to an S Manual would be very noticeable. Correct? I did some reading on the torque multiplier effect, and I believe it only pertains to the launch from a standstill. Atleast that's how I understand it. And all the more than happy Base owners here doesn't make me think it would be a mistake.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #25

I have seen Blkboxster's car on EBAY. It's a real beauty. If it drives as good as it looks , well then, there ya go.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #26

No doubt! That is a beautiful car. Only one flaw I can't get past...5 Speed.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf
No doubt! That is a beautiful car. Only one flaw I can't get past...5 Speed.
Ill teach you to drive stick
Old 04-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #28

Haha I know how to drive a stick....But I choose not to.

I've gone through many, many vehicles in my 20 years of driving, many of them sticks. While they can be fun and do have advantages, I'm just not interested in shifting anymore. And when I am, there's tiptronic. lol Sure, it's not the same, but unless it's a track car I just don't need to deal with it. Man, how lame that I want an auto Porsche.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #29

Do a search and you'll find an number of 'spirited' debates on this frequent forum topic. A few months ago I had asked this forum the very same question (S vs Base) and was blown away by the number of replies I got.

You MUST drive both versions before making your purchase decision. You're own driving experiences and preferences will give you the answer.

Personally, the extra pull of the 'S' was worth the price difference and I'm extremely happy with my decision. I also have a Tip-S which accentuated my desire for the extra HP. That being said, 90% of my driving is in heavy traffic during those periods, that extra power is wasted. Given your driving habits, you'll be in the same boat.

Either way, driving a Boxster with the top down on a sunny day is golden and you'll be happy with whatever is under the hood.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...yvr/Avatar.jpg
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #30

Well I went on a little test drive fest today. Found out a few interesting things. I very much dislike the BMW Z4. That car was insanely small inside. Engine was decent, but I felt like I was is a tunnel. The SLK320 is a beautiful car inside, and still decent on the outside I guess...looks better in person. Ride was smooth and the power hardtop is awesome. But it's boring and really offered nothing that my current C230k has other than less storage space. Not interested. Checked out 4 Boxsters today as well. First was a '97 5 speed with 21k. Car was a rat. No idea what was done to it, but somebody seriously screwed up the suspension. However, the 2.5/5 speed combo was surprisingly fun. Gave the wife a small heart attack when I got into it on the bypass. But I definitely am not interested in the manual as a daily driver. Then checked out an '03 S, car was very nice, but the dealer was a tool and I couldn't even get a test drive. Then we spotted a gorgeous red Base, unfortunately it was an '05. Have to say that the new interior is light years ahead of what I'm looking at. Almost looks like it's worth the price tag. But at more than twice the price I'm looking to spend I just drooled and got on my way. Lastly I had a chance to take a '99 tip out for a drive. Have to say that this car impressed both me and the wife. After that '97 she wasn't feeling the Boxster at all, but this car was very smooth on the road. It had the 16" tires, so I don't know if that helped, but it was perfectly fine as a DD. In the tip mode, the power was impressive and the tranny was responsive. I could drop it down a gear or two and passing was a breeze. But I didn't really care for the buttons on the wheel...felt awkward, but maybe with some time I'd adjust. Does the stick work as a shifter as well? My concern was with the tip in auto mode. Several times I tried the 30-50 acceleration test and the car didn't even go anywhere. The transmission didn't drop down a gear, let alone two, and it was kinda lame. Now maybe I didn't do something right, or maybe this transmission needs some work, but is that normal? I mean using the tip mode is great, but I don't plan on smacking the shifter in M and fiddling with the buttons every time I want to make a pass. Is there a more aggressive auto mode as well? I know on the BMW you can throw it into the tip mode and not touch anything. It changes the settings to a Sportier mode. Overall though, I really liked the car. After our first few test drives I was starting to think that maybe I'm not really a small sports car guy afterall. But the Boxster is really nice. Roomy inside for a small car, seats are comfy, ride was smooth, handling was superb and the brakes were awesome. I'm definitely wanting a Boxster right now. I do want to locate a 2.7 to test out before I do anything. And as nice as the power of the S must be, I honestly think that the 2.5 was plenty for my needs...just wish the transmission was a little livelier in full auto mode. Not sure if there's a point to all this, just updating with todays experiences.