Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #1

Do you give others the pleasure of driving your car?

I will say up front, i'm a car guy... and while sometimes i can't resist talking about my car(s), others often bring them up too... and anytime someone talks positively and maturely about driving/enthusiasm/enjoyment, i have NEVER yet hesitated to toss them the keys....

for example, this past weekend i visited austin, tx to attend the 30th birthday party of my college roommate... we got the house ready for the party and then said "let's go for a ride", so without blinking, slid the keys across the table, and said "let's go"... he looked shocked but he DEFINITELY enjoyed it...

i guess i know that it's a great car, built for enjoyment... and not everyone can always be in a position in their lives to own/rent/drive one, so if i have the ability to give them that extra level of fun and that experience of a lifetime, i should! i mean, who has forgetten their first porsche drive? not me!

for anyone who visits austin btw, rd "2222" is full of curves and hills and is by far the most fun i've driven in texas!

so do you let others drive your car... not just the people that go "ooh i wanna drive it" but more the people that you know will savor the experience?

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #2

I enjoy throwing the keys also. I have let lots of friends and family drive it, even my 15 year old nephew (he's a pretty good driver) (they can start driving at that age in Alberta).

I do try to be the one in the passenger seat as much as possible though.

I feel the same way, not everyone is able to own a car like his, and it feels good to give them a treat. It's just a car, at the end of the day. But what a car!
astorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #3

Oddly enough only women have driven my car. Usually because I was too drunk to care. But they all had experience with a manual trans and drove the car way more agression then I did the first time I was behind the wheel. I still can't figure out how they do that with high heels. I can barely do it with dress shoes.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #4

My wife drove it home from the dealership when I got it and maybe twice since. My brother and my cousin have each driven it once. Otherwise I'm someone who doesn't want anyone driving my car except me (with one exception...if I'm in no shape to be driving)

My normal response if someone asks to drive it....NFW! :troll:
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Even if / when im in no condition to drive I'd rahter leave the car where it is then have someone else drive it.

I've trained myself to say "I may be drunk but im not drunk enough to let you drive my car" .
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
eqs

Interestingly ,,,,,, guys that ask to drive the car - I say no ..... I don't think so. But to the person who really loves the car and doesn't ask to drive the car, no problem - I actually ask them if they would like to drive it - as long as they know how to drive stick that is.....

I'm not that st.st.st.uuuu.pid you know.

As I've noted before, they love it and will remember that for a long, long, time. And they will be your best friend always too.

Cheers
eqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #7

I've let numerous friends drive my S; I trust them and know they will respect the car and not trash it. This past weekend, I let my seventeen year old son run a PCA autocross school in the car. Life is too short to protect a "car" and not let another soul enjoy it.

BTW, I hope he's hooked and we can do some autocrosses this summer, together. I'm fully a track guy, but will need to compromise until he's eighteen.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
does my mommy count? <3 el oh el

- other then that, no one rely drives my car, my dad thinks the boxster is a poor mans porsche, which i admit, i have no money -- so i guss i qualify =P
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:12 AM   #9
bmussatti

I need to let someone trusted drive my car this summer, like NickCats or Sammy, so I can hear my PSE from behind, under full throttle.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #10

Anytime, bmus, anytime

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Anytime, bmus, anytime

Nick
Nick, maybe when I pick-up my Zaino or at the TOD. Or both.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
FTD

It is my pleasure to enjoy the enthusiasm of someone else enjoying the car. A former BF did nothing but complain about it [although he also didn't pull over and let me enjoy the driving] so I don't give up the driving to people like that. And a neighbor that was interested but didn't want to share the key to his wheels also has never driven it.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #13

Garage
i let my wife drive once, but she was grinding gears in the driveway, so we put a halt to that experiment. she can drive manual but it just isn't the same as her old honda civic
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #14
eqs

Oh merplastic, that's sounds painful.

Cheers - I would really have to have a drink after - that!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
Bry

Always! My fiancee actually has more miles on my Boxster than I do ... granted, we've had it a week now, but still. She's always been of the "it's new, it's mine, you can't enjoy it!" mentality, especially with her cars, but I just couldn't keep something this fun to myself. So far various family members, friends, and co-workers have taken her for a spin. I'm usually there in the passenger seat, unless it's a particularly trusted individual like my Pops, but I've tossed the keys to everyone that has asked and many who did not.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Oddly enough only women have driven my car. Usually because I was too drunk to care. But they all had experience with a manual trans and drove the car way more agression then I did the first time I was behind the wheel. I still can't figure out how they do that with high heels. I can barely do it with dress shoes.

As a woman who wears high heels all the time, I've got to say I don't know how anyone can drive this car in heels. I can barely depress the clutch to start it with even some of my lower heels on. Every morning I leave for work wearing some dorky looking flat shoes carrying my heels in a bag to change into.

So far I haven't let anyone else drive my car but a valet guy. I'd be willing to let my parents or brother drive it or another person who is I feel is responsible and would pay to fix any damage they could possibly cause to it.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #17
eqs

Hi LoveBunny, I don't know about the valet guy thing .......... you see it in the movies from time to time ........ you know, the guy let's the valet guy drive it away really slowly, let's see - Ferris Buellers Day Off, comes to mind. And then peels out the back - and in that movie it was a very nice red Fcar. Anyways, you get the point.

I am very hestitant to do that myself. I say "I'll park it myself thank you."

I knew a buddy in school who had a valet job and if you can keep a secret, - drove the Lambos for test spins while the owners were clubbing.

I don't think so, not my ride. But anyways, just thought I'd let you know, as a lot of innocent looking valet people probably really wouldn't mind taking your nice car for a little "drive" before parking it for you.

Anyways, just thought I'd pass that info on - and I hope that there aren't any valet police that are going to get upset that I gave out their little secret.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #18

I let people drive mine. Why not? I love to see their faces when I throw them the key. I even started a thread once about tossing the keys to a guy who owns a sandwich shop near my house. I haven't paid for a sandwich ever since. He refuses to take a dime from me.

I also let my wife drive it...but it is hers.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqs
Hi LoveBunny, I don't know about the valet guy thing .......... you see it in the movies from time to time ........ you know, the guy let's the valet guy drive it away really slowly, let's see - Ferris Buellers Day Off, comes to mind. And then peels out the back - and in that movie it was a very nice red Fcar. Anyways, you get the point.

I am very hestitant to do that myself. I say "I'll park it myself thank you."

I knew a buddy in school who had a valet job and if you can keep a secret, - drove the Lambos for test spins while the owners were clubbing.

I don't think so, not my ride. But anyways, just thought I'd let you know, as a lot of innocent looking valet people probably really wouldn't mind taking your nice car for a little "drive" before parking it for you.

Anyways, just thought I'd pass that info on - and I hope that there aren't any valet police that are going to get upset that I gave out their little secret.

Cheers
I actually have heard stories like that. This wasn't a valet at a club or restaurant though. I had to park downtown in a hotel lot because it was nearest to the location I had to go work at and just about the only option that wasn't on the street, which wasn't exactly a street I'd want to park on even if I found a spot. The lot was one of those high-rise deals where you pull in the front and they give you a ticket and take your car. I didn't really have a choice. But as I was walking off I did actually kind of picture the guy in Ferris Beuler's Day Off and cringed a little bit.

There was a club I used to go to in Tampa and they would tell you that valet a tip-only service unless you paid $5, for which they would park your car up front. I always saw Bentleys and other super expensive cars up there, so I guess they thought it safest to pay the $5 and make sure their car was close.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #20

i'll let anyone have a go....so long as i'm the car with them!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTEvJ2Tl8Ss

jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote