Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Alignment

The alignment on my car is quite bad. I stopped by the local MONROE tire/wheel shop the other day and was quoted $65 + tax for the alignment. I thought it is very reasonable but I drove away after they started asking me questions that I have no idea about... if my car has some sort of EPS??? system, cruise control blah blah blah etc... Basically, the mechanic pulled up the alignment specs on his computer and the computer says something like the car will need special code or machine from the dealer to do the alignment if it has these options (I don't remember what those are). Should I take the car to the dealer or if it is fine to do it at a reputable tire/wheel shop? I am sure it'll cost at least 3 times more at the stealership. Please share your experience if you have it done at place other than the dealership. BTW, my car is a 2000 Boxster with Crusise control but I don't believe I have any of those options they were talking about.

Thanks in advance!

ichiro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #2

you don't need anything special to align your car.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #3

I'm assuming the guy was referring to "ESP," or Electronic Stability Control, which is what Porsche calls PSM, or Porsche Stability Management. Either way, I would absolutely avoid a low end, franchise service shop for something of this nature. While its entirely possible the guy they have doing alignments is excellent, it is less likely. Also, he probably spends most of his days working on minivans and SUVs, and is unfamiliar with Porsche suspensions.

I would find a good independent shop in your area and have them perform the work.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #4

Heck, one of the local dealerships in our area (No. VA) has a great rep and excellent price for alignments. I had mine done there right after purchase and it cost ~$125. Well worth it to have the Box alignment done.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 AM   #5

If you are active with your local PCA, ask around for a recommended shop. $65 is very reasonable for a factor alignment. $125 is a little pricier, but certainly acceptable, it's what I paid for my lat alignment on the boxster. The dealer typically is closer to $200 (+/- 30).

I do not know enough about why having PSM would matter though, anyone else?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote