Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Honda scooters anyone?

So I'm getting fed up with driving my beater van around to college(6 miles round trip) and the gym(4 miles round trip). It's only pulling 18-20mpg and it(96' Quest w/ 220k) makes tons of sounds.

I'm thinking of picking up a 07' or 08' Honda Metropolitan. It's listed at over $1.9k on Honda's website.

Anyone here use a scooter as an alternatives means of transportation? How much MPG should I expect? I've seen other scooters pull in 80+ MPG,but Honda doesn't list it on their website.

How is insurance on these compared to cars? Less or more?

Any members in CA gone to a Motorcycle License class? How much do those run?

Do you recommend any other scooters? I need something that is reliable and I can get it serviced locally.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-08-2008 at 11:08 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:19 PM   #2

Now that's awesome! That'll save you on gas and mileage! ...on a tangent, it reminds me of when I bought my niece a gas powered Razor a year ago for x-mas....but, I think the only one using it is my brother-in-law....

....anyway, I'm sure it's comforting to know that you have your Boxster as your weekend car! Enjoy!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #3

I work for Honda as a Sales Rep and the Metropolitan gets over 100 mpg. It is also liquid cooled, electric start w/ manual back up, and a great all around scooter. There are 2 models of it as well. There was a Metropolitan 2 that we made a couple of years ago, that is a much slower unit. Make sure you get the Metropolitan 1, which is a little faster.
porschefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschefan1
I work for Honda as a Sales Rep and the Metropolitan gets over 100 mpg. It is also liquid cooled, electric start w/ manual back up, and a great all around scooter. There are 2 models of it as well. There was a Metropolitan 2 that we made a couple of years ago, that is a much slower unit. Make sure you get the Metropolitan 1, which is a little faster.
I don't think that Honda makes the Metro 2 anymore,at least it's not listed on their website.

How fast does the Metro go?

How expensive are parts?

Would you buy one yourself?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #5

Blink don't do it !

Scooter are like fat chicks, fun to ride as long as your friends don't see you on one

I think this is much more your style :

http://www.hdtrader.com/78745

( shameless plug, I am selling my bike )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 AM   #6

If you stay at 49cc life is much simpler and cheaper in CA. See below.

Good luck.

Motorized Scooters Not Defined As "Motor Vehicles"
21224. (a) A person operating a motorized scooter is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, registration, and license plate requirements, and, for those purposes, a motorized scooter is not a motor vehicle.

(b) A motorized scooter is exempt from the equipment requirements in Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000), except for Sections 24003 and 27400, Article 4 (commencing with Section 27450) of Chapter 5 of Division 12, and Section 27602.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (b), any motorized scooter may be equipped with equipment authorized by Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000).

(d) Any motorized scooter equipped with lighting equipment that is authorized by Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000) shall meet the lighting requirements in Article 1 (commencing with Section 24250) of Chapter 2 of Division 12 for that equipment.

Added Sec. 5, Ch. 722, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #7

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd11c1a5.htm

Here is the link.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
So I'm getting fed up with driving my beater van around to college(6 miles round trip) and the gym(4 miles round trip). It's only pulling 18-20mpg and it(96' Quest w/ 220k) makes tons of sounds.

I'm thinking of picking up a 07' or 08' Honda Metropolitan. It's listed at over $1.9k on Honda's website.

Anyone here use a scooter as an alternatives means of transportation? How much MPG should I expect? I've seen other scooters pull in 80+ MPG,but Honda doesn't list it on their website.

How is insurance on these compared to cars? Less or more?

Any members in CA gone to a Motorcycle License class? How much do those run?

Do you recommend any other scooters? I need something that is reliable and I can get it serviced locally.

Getting a MC license involves:

A written test that gets you a permit.

Later, a road test at DMV. You can waive the road test if you do the Motorcycle Safety Course, which I would recommend.

I forget the cost, it is on the DMV website.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
( shameless plug, I am selling my bike )

Nick
Nice bike Nick,

Why are you selling it? Are you getting a new one? I always wanted one but I think I will kill myself on one.... seen way too many nasty outcomes in my line of work.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #10

I'm an MSF Instructor. I teach both the Basic Rider Skills and the Advanced Skills Courses at a local community college. IMHO, the MSF Basic Rider Skills course is an absolute MUST for anyone using any two-wheeled vehicles.

We're seeing an increasing number of scooter riders in the BRS courses. There are many good ones out there, and some not so good ones, especially from the PRC and Viet Nam.

The one thing I've heard about the Hondas si that they are more prone to be stolen than some others. IIRC, they lack any kind of Interlock or Anti-theft devices, making them targets. Other than that, I believe they're good scoots, though if it were me, I'd look at some of the modern vespas or piaggios. Some of these, like the BV500 from piaggio are highway/freeway capable, which I think makes it more versatile.

The MSF also offers a Scooter Course, but this is aimed primarily for Moped Riders - <50cc. This Course does not substitute for the State Road test as the BRS Course does.

In addition to instructors, we're also State Deputy Registrars and use the last hour of the BRS Course to conduct a State sanctioned Road Test for each student.

In my state, registering for the Road Test at a state licensing facility can wait list you for almost 9 mos., while the waiting list for the BRS Course is usually 1 mo. or less, so this makes taking the MSF course more attractive. Also, minors under 18 must take the BRS Course in order to earn their endorsement.

After a student passes their test during the course, we sign and stamp their state permit form certifying that they have met the state testing requirements, after which the student need only visit a state license clerk and pay the $11 state fee to get their license or endorsement, avoiding the State Road Test altogether.

The BRS Course is conducted over a long weekend with a 3-hour Thursday evening classroom session, followed by two 4-hour Road sessions the following Saturday and Sunday in the roped off parking lot. You must have passed the written state test and received a Learners Permit before starting the BRS Course. You must also have the appropriate Safety gear in order to attend the Road sessions - DOT approved Helmet, eye protection, gloves, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and footwear which covers the ankles.

We watch the students over 8 hrs. of riding and concentrate on those skills required in the state test. We pass about 86% of all students. One advantage for the student is that we tend to mark them on what we've seen during the entire session, not just a single maneuver. But, we also caution the students that receiving their endorsements is only the beginning of their learning curve - that they will now continue to learn on their own for several years.

Other advantages of the MSF course is that most Ins. Cos. offer a discount if you are MSF endorsed and many motorcycle shops offer a 10% discount on all parts, service and accessories, just by showing them your MSF course completion card which you receive at the end of the course. This alone assures that most will recoup the $160 fee for the course.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #11

http://www.motorxtremes.com/scooters/index.html?gclid=CPqd08jIzpICFScvagodJhEFHg

This site is very informative about CA scooters.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #12

One more vote to man-up and get a real two-wheeler. You can buy an older motorcycle that will suit your needs just fine for around that same price...plus you'll actually be able to go places at more than 45 mph.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 04-09-2008 at 10:56 AM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #13

Robert...what in the world are you thinking getting a scooter? that is so not you, bro...listen to Nick

On a serious note: I think for that price and it get's 100mpg...it's all worth it and you could drive by gas stations and laugh at those SUV's or European car that require Premium gas...

If you could get away with 49cc (like what bruce said) go for it...

I stop using my Benz' or the Boxster for work..I take Cal Train now and i'm saving a lot on gas money. D/D gas = $460 a mo. vs. Cal train = $152 a mo. round trip fare and that includes the $20 monthly parking to the station w/c is only 8 mi. from where am at.

BTW...Nick, don't tell me that it's you on the 3rd pix on your ad
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #14

A scooter Blink? Really? What, you don't ever want a girl...ever? No, little bro, we can't let you ride a scooter. Sorry.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #15

My Sporty gets 50+MPG. Fun too! :dance:

Old 04-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #16

Brucelee do you have a link to your Sporty? Who makes it?

Why does it matter if I keep my choice at 49cc? Could I move to a 100cc or 125cc and still not register it?

Last edited by blinkwatt; 04-09-2008 at 03:21 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #17

Some of the Aprilia, Derbi and Italjet scooters are pretty cool.

Plus, both Aprila and Derbi have scooters masquerading as motorcycles... the Aprilia RS50, Derbi GPR50/GPR50 nude or Derbi Senda 50 which is a super motard.

They also make big-bore kits (75-100cc) for the RS50s.

These seems like they might be decent if they aren't blowing smoke about their reliability. Good prices if you don't mind doing your own paperwork and setup.

gsmotorworks
Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Brucelee do you have a link to your Sporty? Who makes it?

Why does it matter if I keep my choice at 49cc? Could I move to a 100cc or 125cc and still not register it?

The Sporty is short for HD Sporster. Large MC, not what you are looking for.

According to CA law, a 49CC scooter is considered a SCOOTER and legally, you have less to deal with.

Above 50CC, no matter what it is called by you and me, the Scooter is a Motorcycle according to CA law and those laws apply.

As I understand it, 49CC requires no license, registration or insurance. The website I listed above can provide more info. Above 50 CC it might as well be 1400CC.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #19

I would get a Vespa if I had to ride a scooter. Otherwise just get a 250 sport bike or a smaller enduro bike. Its really is scary riding a 50cc on a busy road with no power to quickly get out of the way.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 AM   #20

If you like a cheap sport bike, the Ninja 250 is the deal. Cheap and it scoops.