Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 AM   #1

99 Boxster Can't Open Hood

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to open the hood on my 99 boxster with no success. I need to know all the options available. The battery is out of the car so I cant charge it through the cigarette lighter. I tried to go through the fuse panel with no success, and the dashboard lights came on but thats all. There is NO red pin with this car in the fuse panel. Also, I tried to go in the wheel well on the drivers side but can't find the wire for the hood. Please help,, and thank you so much

xJonnyForeverx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #2

Only two options are to pull the Emergency Cable behind the passenger side Front Bumper - it's there! Just may have to look or even remove the Bumper to access it, but it's there.

Or, with a dental pick, work the security cam open between the mechanical levers next to the seat - this may take some practice.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 AM   #3

Bastard is right. The '99 hood is a mechanical latch, not electrical. You're wasting your time focusing on an electrical solution. He's also right that the cable is there, but it is small and hard to find. Per someone else's suggestion, when I had the front bumper off, I rerouted the emergency cable to behind the tow hook cover. Now it's easy to find!
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldee
Bastard is right. The '99 hood is a mechanical latch, not electrical. You're wasting your time focusing on an electrical solution. He's also right that the cable is there, but it is small and hard to find. Per someone else's suggestion, when I had the front bumper off, I rerouted the emergency cable to behind the tow hook cover. Now it's easy to find!
FYI, well, there is an electrical solution of sorts.

While the latch is mechanical as you say, the lever system does have an intergral electrically operated security 'cam' which rotates into place to prevent the levers being operated if the doors are locked. This way, you cannot access the trunk or hood if you leave the car locked, top down.

If the lister had a battery installed, he could have used a maintainer in the cigarrette lighter or a 9-volt Memory Saver to supply sufficient electrical current to open the locks, which would have also released this security cam on the hood/trunk levers.

But, with no battery installed, there could be complications. Either a circuit to the locks would not be completed, or worse, if the battery (+) cable was grounded or touching any metal, he may cause a short circuit and either ruin the maintainer (or drain the 9-volt in the event a Memory Saver was used) and possibly damage some of the car's more expensive electronic components such as the alarm module or even the DME.

This is why I suggested the use of a dental pick or such to try and manually rotate the security cam to allow the lever to operate freely.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #5

Good point. I forgot about the Security Cam. I stand corrected. That is likely what is keeping him from lifting the lever. A check in the Archives may provide a tutorial on how to release the Cam. I seem to remember seeing that tutorial once.

Found it! From Renntech:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2751&hl=trunk+lid+locked

Pictures and drawing to boot!

Last edited by pauldee; 04-14-2008 at 06:33 AM.
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote