View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Lil bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldee
Bastard is right. The '99 hood is a mechanical latch, not electrical. You're wasting your time focusing on an electrical solution. He's also right that the cable is there, but it is small and hard to find. Per someone else's suggestion, when I had the front bumper off, I rerouted the emergency cable to behind the tow hook cover. Now it's easy to find!
FYI, well, there is an electrical solution of sorts.

While the latch is mechanical as you say, the lever system does have an intergral electrically operated security 'cam' which rotates into place to prevent the levers being operated if the doors are locked. This way, you cannot access the trunk or hood if you leave the car locked, top down.

If the lister had a battery installed, he could have used a maintainer in the cigarrette lighter or a 9-volt Memory Saver to supply sufficient electrical current to open the locks, which would have also released this security cam on the hood/trunk levers.

But, with no battery installed, there could be complications. Either a circuit to the locks would not be completed, or worse, if the battery (+) cable was grounded or touching any metal, he may cause a short circuit and either ruin the maintainer (or drain the 9-volt in the event a Memory Saver was used) and possibly damage some of the car's more expensive electronic components such as the alarm module or even the DME.

This is why I suggested the use of a dental pick or such to try and manually rotate the security cam to allow the lever to operate freely.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote