Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #1

another addition to funky noises...

OK, I just stopped at a stop light with the windows up and the radio off. It was pretty quiet in the car. I hear a small boung boing boing. Small to medium spring releasing sound right behind me, in the motor compartment. My first thought was main belt tensioner. Light goes green turn corner 300' up the hill @ about 40mph I hear scraping pully sound... could not tell if it was a water pump sound and thought maybe not because usually that is an extremely high pitched wale. I get off the gas and try to figure out if I should pull over on the spot, or milk her home, only about a mile away. That is when the sound went away. I babied her home and heard no new or recurring sounds. That is where she sits. I don't want to drive it around now until its fixed what ever it was. So here is the big "Q"... any guesses? Or similar experiences. :ah:

(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #2

so how does the belt tensioner work on the 3.2L motor? does the below make sense with that?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:56 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I'd take the belt off and spin the tensioners by hand and water pump pulley and feel for any resistance or slop in the rotation... probably the best way to see if one of them is past prime.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #4

Yeah thats a good idea. The only think holding me back now I guess is I'll have to wait for help to lift off my hard top. Do you know if that is the only part on the belt with a spring?
Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #5

I spun everything and it all seems fine. I drove the car to day, it snowed again recently as its the first time I could since the problem. I can not duplicate the problem so far. I drove around with the pully access panel off, wow that is loud and the fumes were getting to me. I could only get one little squeak out of the belt with the steering wheel full lock. I continued to go full lock back and forth to no avail it did not sound again. I could how ever hear the pump groaning a little kinda like a Ford, but don't think I would hear that if the access panel was back on. Can you typically hear the pws. motor? It does strain the belt and tensioner when full lock. I know as soon as I put it back on or go far it will start again. That is the way these things work. I'm just curious of how serious it would be to throw a belt while driving? The belt is new...er. Has no sings of ware at all. Think this is a fluke or am I asking for it? Help?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #6

Just posting to say I feel your pain, but I am no help...I will defer to someone else???

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote