Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #1

DIY Install of rear speakers?

I've been pouring through the forums here, and everywhere else, looking for anyone who has done a DIY install of rear speakers in the storage compartment, without buying the actual kit... I've seen some folks make mention of it, but nothing of detail.

I've got a decent set of 3.5 inch Infinity speakers that I would like to use there.

Has anyone performed an install like this? If so what did you use to mount the speakers?

Thanks!

far972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have researched this a lot. I was going to do a DIY install, until Sunset Imports dropped the price on their kit to $130.
I was going to use OEM grills, and the brown plug for the speaker, but those parts alone where $110, the kit was just a better deal, even if you replace the speakers.
You could DIY but your going to have problems making the grills, unless your really good at working with metal.
I would just buy the kit because it will be cheaper, easier, and better looking. But if your adamant about DIY, you'll probably just have to figure it out as you go along, and start by removing the storage box. I have not found anything on the internet about a DIY install, except for maybe two people mentioning that they did it.
Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #3

Thanks Rick,

I will probably end up going that route myself, but after dropping over $1000 in other upgrades yesterday, I was wondering if I could save myself a few bucks

In the meantime I will take a look at the storage compartment and see if I can come up with any interesting ideas for the grills...

far972 is offline   Reply With Quote