Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Question Problem with fueling Boxster

Hello all,

My Boxster has recently developed a problem with fueling at the gas station. While pumping gas I get a back pressure that stops the nozzle. I can only fill the tank by slowly metering the gas flow. Is there a vent that is blocked? All suggestion are appreciated.

Regards,
Khoov

Khoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I haven't had that happen in my boxster (at least not yet) but it used to happen all the time on my Lexus. I thought it had something to do with the gas getting really low, but I could totally be wrong on this.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #3

me too

Khoov - I've had the same thing happen, and found that I can still use the auto-fill if I just put it in one of the slower detent positions (where available). I would not think its indiciative of an actual problem on your car but for the fact that you said it is a 'recently developed' problem on your car. Any chance the station switched filler nozzles and/or added some new polution control device that makes it more sensitive?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

this is a known issue on the 986s and solution depends on MY.....

Pre-2000 (maybe some post too) had an issue w/ the fuel sending unit tubes slipping to the side and blocking the flap from the nozzle filler neck. Repair is ~ $200 or so. Take to dealer w/ < 1/4 tank. There is a TSB on it which you can read over on Renntech if you are a contributing member (it's also referenced on the PCA.org Tech site).

Post 2000, it could be same as above or just a blown fuse which controls the EVAP canister (emissions control device). Check fuse E6 and replace if blown. If it blows again, tape up your phone power cord behind the center console.

If a 987, not sure what the issue is. Good luck.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #5

Same thing

Khoov, I'm new here as well, and I have had this same problem. I had the dealer check everything out and all is well. They suggested that I try filling at a slower detent on the pump and that has solved the problem. I also find that on most pumps I need to pull the hose as far out of the pump as possible to give a lot of slack to the nozzle as the insertion angle on the Boxster is much lower than the average car and if it does not have enough slack the pull from the hose return mechanism is enough to break the seal and the pump turns off too soon.
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Same thing happens to me but only on certain gas stations, 9 out of 10 times I don't have any problems filling up, but at the odd gas station or two the nozzle cuts off with the tank level only at 3/4.

I already know which stations around my place where I will have this problem, using the lower detent on the nozzle to slow down fuel flow seems to help a bit.

I guess some stations have nozzles/systems that are more sensitive?

tracke30m3 is offline   Reply With Quote