Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #1

3.6 boxster

Saw this beauty on 6speed.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123148&page=2

Man, if I would have seen this before the 911, I would be in a very fast, well balanced car.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #2

hmmmm

you have to ask yourself the question though....why is it for sale ?!?! sometimes too much power destroys the whole nature of the car, ok, great in a straight line so long as it does'nt torque steer but i've always found if you want a faster car then...errr.. well buy a faster car. before you tear me of a strip i love to improve a cars performance but to what extent? i have a mear 2.5L (a mear 5.5" PINKY SIZE in the real world of performance) but it's how fast i DARE to go into the approaching corner thats the buzz and can i take that speed out the other side?!?!, all i'm saying is, it's what you do with it and not what you got that matters !!! (as in life.....lol)
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
you have to ask yourself the question though....why is it for sale ?!?! sometimes too much power destroys the whole nature of the car, ok, great in a straight line so long as it does'nt torque steer but i've always found if you want a faster car then...errr.. well buy a faster car. before you tear me of a strip i love to improve a cars performance but to what extent? i have a mear 2.5L (a mear 5.5" PINKY SIZE in the real world of performance) but it's how fast i DARE to go into the approaching corner thats the buzz and can i take that speed out the other side?!?!, all i'm saying is, it's what you do with it and not what you got that matters !!! (as in life.....lol)

I know what you are trying to say, but unless the motor is significantly heavier and throws off the balance and handling of the car I don't see an issue. If you don't need the power don't press the GO pedal as hard. Besides it's not over powerful at only 50hp more than a new S. I think that power level is just about right for the Box.
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
sometimes too much power destroys the whole nature of the car, ok, great in a straight line so long as it does'nt torque steer (as in life.....lol)
torque steer???? i didn't see the part of the ad where he converted it to FWD.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #5

true

i stand corrected, what i meant was the power steering the car from the rear, it's ok if you know what your doing but it can bite you in the @$$ oh so quickly if you dont. a car with that much power may have to command too much respect from you on a day to day basis, hence the carrera 4
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #6

Even at 325 hp for a stock 3.6, that is not a lot of hp. Lots of other street cars are pumping out a lot more hp and torque. I use my car all year round, with 350hp it is quite easy to drive, no PSM, no traction control.

One thing to consider on that car is that looking at the pictures, the variocam plus is most likely controlled by a piggy back system and they have a modified program in the 7.2 DME as the CAN bus electronics have not been integrated in order to use the factory 7.8DME. This is the cheap and easy way to do the conversion. I am obviously biased, but I would rather have a car that you can take to any shop and have them plug in the PIWIS or PST testers and diagnose and repair it just like a factory built car.

Todd
1971 911T
tholyoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #7

ahhh!!

i just realized why it's more of a big deal to me rather than you guys in the states concerning big power and rear wheel drive all in a small package, in the uk the roads are mainly very narrow and VERY twisty and 40+% of the time wet and greasy, when i went to florida last year i could'nt belive how big the roads were!?!? you can have real fun on our roads but it can come at a cost, our salvage yards are full of trashed sports cars.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #8

$24,000 seems like a bit much on the conversion. I wonder where they got the 3.6 and what its history is. Still, it would be an awesome ride. I don't see where the extra HP would negatively affect the characteristics of the car. If it was 500HP I could see where it might be unmanagable.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #9

Located in Houston too. If anyone is seriously interested in buying this car, I'll go over and drive it for you

If that sucker was black instead of silver, I'd be drooling and scheming on how I could buy it. I just can't fathom owning a silver Porsche with any sized engine in it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #10

Actually the price is in line with what shops are charging to do the conversion. The ad states a new motor was used so:
motor $15k
proper custom exhaust, off the shelf 986 exhausts are too small for a 3.6 >$2k
ecu changes, clutch, flywheel, pp, etc to deal with increased hp and torque, custom intake from filter to TB ~>/=$3000
misc intallation parts $500-1000

On a pre-2001 car if you do it correctly and integrate the 7.8 DME there are several other parts needed along with custom fabrication that are worth several thousand dollars. This is why most shops won't convert a pre-2001 to a 3.6 or 3.8 motor and why the conversion like this one I believe was done using the original 7.2 DME and a piggyback controller. It gets expensive to do properly.

So now you are into the $20's if you do things properly with all new parts and you haven't even covered the labor to do the work.

Could you do it cheaper, yep, but if you are paying a shop to do the work and starting with a factory crate motor 20-25k is about right.

Things add up quickly.

Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
$24,000 seems like a bit much on the conversion. I wonder where they got the 3.6 and what its history is. Still, it would be an awesome ride. I don't see where the extra HP would negatively affect the characteristics of the car. If it was 500HP I could see where it might be unmanagable.
1971 911T
Old 03-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #11

all that and it still has ambers

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #12

Oh Max.....I feel the same way at times....wishing I would have held out for this or that.....I need to see your 996...do you still have the "flashy wheels" on it?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #13

Andy, I do. I want to put something else on it, but I really havent found anything worth buying that is reasonably priced. I don't want the typical race/mesh style wheels like I have on my boxster.

I may even powdercoat the chrome ones, they are incredibly well made wheels, and the quality is amazing. But since they do not fit anything but the porsche, I may have a tough time selling them.

We will see what happens.... and by the way, my wife must not notice that there is a different porsche in the garage, because she hasn't said anything about selling one or the other!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Andy, I do. I want to put something else on it, but I really havent found anything worth buying that is reasonably priced. I don't want the typical race/mesh style wheels like I have on my boxster.

I may even powdercoat the chrome ones, they are incredibly well made wheels, and the quality is amazing. But since they do not fit anything but the porsche, I may have a tough time selling them.

We will see what happens.... and by the way, my wife must not notice that there is a different porsche in the garage, because she hasn't said anything about selling one or the other!
Will they fit a 997 turbo or GT3? I could talk to my BIL and see if he has any remote interest in them. They are definitely very nice wheels. You cannot beat the fact that your better half has not said anything about em.....you must be taking good care of her or she is so happy about your amazing daughter, that she has failed to worry about such things! Best of luck my friend.

BTW,
Did you notice I finally added a small signature with my Box in front of my new Grande Maison home.....? LOL ---- took the pic yesterday. I actually drove my Box yesterday and today. Heck with using 6th gear, I am getting killer gas mileage on the Causeway! Hope to see you on the roads soon man, I pass your subdivision all of the time when exiting the bridge....

Brew pub run soon?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #15

There is a 986 with a 3.4 posted

on eBay the other day. In CT. Owned by a car nut with 26k miles IIRC.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #16

They wouldn't fit a turbo, they would probably too thin, a gt3 maybe. I'm not in a hurry with getting rid of them. I had a blowout on the rear tire and was quoted 550+ 50 dollar mounting for a new tire, wow!

From what I can tell from 1/3 of your house, it looks amazing, and we do need to meet up, other NOLA & BR members are anxious too, it seems.

Sorry, I hijacked my own thread.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #17

Thanks Todd for the breakdown. That makes sense. I was thinking about $15k total in my mind but that would be using a used engine at I figured about $7k-$8k so if it is a new engine that adds up. Pretty good deal for the right person.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Maybe I'm way out of wack but I was quoted $9.9k for a brand new 3.4 OR 3.6 crate motor from Beverly Hills Porsche. They are both the same price. I was actually right in front of the parts counter and my mechanic (a friend of mine) had the parts guy pull it up on the screen right in front of me. Saw it with my own eyes.

My mechanic even said he might be able to get me a slight discount on it when I'm ready for the swap.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #19

That is the price of the motor, exchange. The price I was quoting is an approximation of list. That means unless you have an identical core to give them back you pay between $2500 and $5500 core charge, depending on the type of motor. The last quote I had from Sunset was in the summer before the decline of the dollar vs the euro and the price increases that accompanied it, and for a 3.6 is was $8500 +2500 core, that is $11k. So $15k puts you in the right ballpark. A company carrying out the conversion is likely to charge you full list and then some, not give you a discount or at their cost.

An X51 3.8 is about the same motor cost, but the core increases to $5500. You then need to factor in shipping if you are not getting it from a local dealer which will add several hundred dollars.

Todd
1971 911T

Last edited by tholyoak; 03-28-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Todd,

Now that makes sense!

I wonder what kind of discount my mechanic gets on motors. I can't wait to get this thing done!

I am hoping to have everything done and complete for no more than $15k.

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3