Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zguy
Top roof lining in a pre-2001 Boxter?

I figured out about 2 weeks ago that used Boxster prices have come down to a level that I can afford. I've been shopping around and test driving several since then. I know I'll be driving with the top down most of the time, but occasionally I'll want to take a break from the wind noise. My but-meter can't tell a big difference between the 2.5's and 2.7's, but one thing I did notice is that the 2001's are much quieter (top up) due to the thicker roof liner on the top. Does anyone sell an aftermarket liner that can be installed on the pre-2001 tops?

Jason

zguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
porsche986

to be honest i bought my boxster 2.5 new in 1998 and i know a few boxster owners near me who have 3.2s and 2.7s and i find no difference in the noise level. Noise is part of the soft top, now my dad has a ferrari 355 and that is very noisy at high speed, super quick but noisy. But porsche isnt that bad its normally a poorly fitted rear window that creates the noise and not the actuall top itsself.

I did find someone that creates aftermarket tops on ebay but i dont know what there like, i very realy have my top up, even if its snowing the top is down

hope you find a Boxster. I think the boxster prices have come down due to the fact of the 987 or people cant afford the payments as this was featured on fox news. It didnt say boxster but did state second hand market, i would say boxster fits this perfect.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #3

http://www.mgracing.an/inner_covers.htm
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
porsche986

good link by the way, i think i saw them before on ebay

if porsche thought it needed this i am sure they would have done it though, i cant really see the point. I find the boxster very quite infact people always comment how quite it is when i give them a lift.

each to his own though, each to his.
boxster turbo, i like it: http://www.mgracing.an/boxster-turbo.htm

Last edited by porsche986; 10-30-2004 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zguy
Thanks for the link. The only reason I noticed the extra noise, was a I drove an '01 and then a '98. Not that big of deal, since my last conv was a Miata (much louder, both top down and top up) but I wanted to make sure I had the option if I buy a pre-2001.
zguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 06:08 AM   #6

Z-G: A local broker in VA told me there's a Porsche Credit auction this coming week (wk of Nov1) in Texas with 30 Boxsters. I'd suggest you contact one of the broker types down your way to confirm and seek. Buena suerte.

Jim

wetsuff is offline   Reply With Quote