Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

Smile Need help! Just imported a Boxter...

I just imported an' 03 Boxter into Quebec and they apparently want me to modify my speedometer into kilometers and install daytime running lights. The lights aren't too much of a problem, even if the dealer want's $1,200.00 to get them working, I found a $10.00 kit on ebay that makes them work. The kit basically re-arranges some of your fuse connections like jumpers..I was told, anyway the speedometer (odometer?) is a bigger problem. The dealer is the only entity that can replace and certify a new speedo. and they want $2,000.00. Any ideas anyone? Please!

Last edited by Heat '03 Boxter; 03-19-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Heat '03 Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Will inspections not allow you to flash the digital tach? I know canadian dealers are trying to make it harder and more expensive for us to import cars. The stealership charging $2000 is a good way of deterring imports by normal guys like us. Do you have any local brokers that you can pay to have the service done for you? Most brokers get some sort of break from the dealerships. Can you drive to another dealership?

Mind me asking where you bought the car from? Did you import it sight unseen? Price? Shipper that you used? I am curious as I too have been thinking about an 03 S and also a newer 08 Cayenne S for the wife.

Thanks and good luck

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #3

Hi, who's they , all you need to do is to switch the digital counter from miles to kilometers using the clock reset button.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can change the speedo to km with the push of a button. This dealer sounds like there trying to rip you off, I would look for another dealer for future visits.

There are DIY instructions to make the DRL mod. It's $1 in parts and takes about three minutes to do. The eBay kit is a rip. There are instructions on whiteson.com
Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #5

It's spelled BoxSter.. with an S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat '03 Boxter
I just imported an' 03 Boxter into Quebec and they apparently want me to modify my speedometer into kilometers and install daytime running lights. The lights aren't too much of a problem, even if the dealer want's @1,200.00 to get them working, I found a $10.00 kit on ebay that makes them work. The kit basically re-arranges some of your fuse connections like jumpers..I was told, anyway the speedometer (odometer?) is a bigger problem. The dealer is the only entity that can replace and certify a new speedo. and thet want $2,000.00. Any ideas anyone? Please!
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #6

To switch from MPH to KPH, turn the display on (ignition ON or start car) then turn the right setting button (clock face button between Tach and Clock/Temp and Fuel cluster) anti-clockwise and hold for 5 sec.

That's all there is to it!

For Daytime Running Lights - http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/drl/ - takes about 5 min.

Good Luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #7

You DEFINITELY do not need replace the entire speedometer assembly.

Because the 986 has redundant speedometers (Digital plus Analogue) you only need one of them in KM to pass inspection.

Simply twist and hold the odometer/clock switch for 10 seconds (or so) and you will see the digital speedometer and odometer flip over to km. Bring it into Canadian tire like that and you are good to go. That is of course if you also did the DRL hack that you already mentioned.

Being in Quebec, the only thing you may need to worry about is having a French/English Airbag warning sticker. They don't really check it here in BC but you could run into trouble there.
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #8

From your PM to me, you state that you've been told that the analog gauge must also read metric in order to pass in Quebec.

There is another way besides swapping clusters. You can simply change the dial faces. I searched ebay in Germany and found this:

Here:
http://cgi.ebay.de/PASSSEND-FUR-Porsche-Boxter-986-Tiptronic-Tachoscheibe_W0QQitemZ260220137563QQihZ016QQcatego ryZ99213QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Gauge Face reads MPH in the photo, but I suspect this is just a stock photo, you'd need to contact the seller. Now this is for a Tiptronic set of gauges (don't know what you own), but you could:

a. Just swap the Speedo

b. Swap them all (not using the Tip S indicator)

c. Contact the seller (using Babelfish as a translator) and ask if he can furnish a set for Manual (if you need that)

d. Check TechArt - http://www.techart.de (they also make Gauge Faces)

e. Check more ebay sites for other EU or other Metric countries (I'm not gonna do ALL the work )

This is a pretty easy hack which is well documented here - do a search on Gauge Face(s)
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-20-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #9

The same holds true for Ontario. Toggling the mph/km digital readout works fine.
I have the english/french stickers but I didn't need to install them. (i'm not even sure if they asked to see them). A madeup (removeable) jumper turned my front foglights into daylight running lights. A child seat bolt and you should be set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
You DEFINITELY do not need replace the entire speedometer assembly.

Because the 986 has redundant speedometers (Digital plus Analogue) you only need one of them in KM to pass inspection.

Simply twist and hold the odometer/clock switch for 10 seconds (or so) and you will see the digital speedometer and odometer flip over to km. Bring it into Canadian tire like that and you are good to go. That is of course if you also did the DRL hack that you already mentioned.

Being in Quebec, the only thing you may need to worry about is having a French/English Airbag warning sticker. They don't really check it here in BC but you could run into trouble there.

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote