Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #1

Aluminum Pedals

He guys....I just bought a set of racing pedals from everyone's favorite auction site. (The aluminum ones with "Porsche" inscribed on them.) They didn't come with installation instructions. I know that they require drilling to install. My question is do I need to take the existing rubber off the pedals? Or can I install the aluminum pedals on top of the rubber? If I need to remove the rubber, does it just pop off? Or will I be under the dash with a handful of cutting/slicing tools?

Oh yeah....do I need a special drill bit as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

vheidenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #2

I have not done this on a porsche yet so I won't be much help but more than none. I think every pedal Ive had to do, the rubber does pop off. Some times prying with all your might and just about ripping your finger nails off. I like to find a wood backer for the pedals so when you drill the pedal doesn't move down more and you don't slip the bit. tape the pedal where you want it and push down to make sure it doesn't come in contact with the flooring etc. Use a scratch-all or center punch to mark drilling locations. Drill one hole then install and drill other holes with pedal in place. don't slip and scratch the pedals! then insert screws make sure they are short! 1/4" usually does the trick. You can leave the rubber on if you want. I like to take it off so if you sell you can remove the pedals and the rubber goes right back on.
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #3

I just installed what I am pretty sure are the same ones you just got, they are sweet. Installation was a little bit of a PITA, but well worth it. The gas and dead pedal I drilled on top of the existing pedals; the gas pedal didn't look like it could come off and when you remove the dead pedal there were holes where the bolts would go. There is obviously a height difference but it is pretty minimal. I am 6'1" and have no issues.
The clutch and brake pedals come off pretty easily, then I drilled holes in the base and bolted them on. The clutch was plastic so that was easy to drill thru, however the brake was metal and a little more difficult. No special drill bit, just as long as they are strong enough to get thru the metal.
If you search aluminum pedals there is a post from about a year ago that has a nice link that I believe perfectlap posted that has pix of an install that someone did, that was pretty helpful for me. Oh, I have a 987, I don't know if the pedals are different on a 986.... probably should have said that sooner.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #4

Almost forgot pix, hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #5

I've installed these, but the feedback from PWebRPH pretty much covers it. Just a couple more comments:

A 90 degree attachment to your drill will help a LOT.

I'd get new mounting hardware. I wasn't too keen on the stuff that came from Taiwan and bought my own at a hardware store. From what I've seen most people buy and use their own bolts and nuts.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

Very Nice

I am going to give this a go as I have been staring at my aluminum pedals for about a week or so
BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #7

I presume I have the same set as well. Good snag

Only tips I would suggest are:

-Start w/ the brake pedal. Yes it's the hardest (physically and otherwise) but it's also the one w/ the least forgiveness. You'll need to line that one up perfectly and can then align the clutch pedal off of it. If you do clutch first, you could run into clearance issues on the nuts for mounting the brake pedal.

-If your hardware didn't (or even if it did) come w/ lock washers, I'd still hit the threads of the machine bolts w/ some locktite. Definitely don't want thos suckers coming loose while driving.

Good luck and enjoy!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #8

I just installed the complete Rennline set very nice. I like to move the pedals to where I want them not line them up perfectly. Just my two cents. I'll have pics soon. or you can see at rennline.com.
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
.... I like to move the pedals to where I want them not line them up perfectly.
in other words....... you ran into clearance issues when trying to line up the brake pedal huh? j/k of course
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #10

Those metal porsche pedals sure look sweet. Let us know how your installation goes.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #11

Okay, this is the most recent thread I found. But there were several others I read.

Metal vs rubber nubs

Deliriousga recommended the crosshatched metal. Saw some discussion, but nothing conclusive about the rubber.

I usually wear deck shoes and do not track, altho I practice safe spirited driving.

Question is rubber nubs or bare metal?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #12

For "spirited" street driving, I like the rubber nubs. A track only car, I'd probably go with the crosshatched steel/aluminum.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
For "spirited" street driving, I like the rubber nubs. A track only car, I'd probably go with the crosshatched steel/aluminum.

that's what I bought and I like them for street too, much better feel for clutchwork.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM   #14
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
My set has hemispherical shaped hard plastic nubs. I haven't had any other pedals to compare them to but they work fine for me on the street.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #15

very nice looking !
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #16

Thanks for the input, guys. Nubs its gonna be.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #17

I have the same set and love them. Pretty much what everyone says about installation is good. The only thing different that I did was to use extra strength double sided tape for the dead pedal as I didn't want to drill into anything that will be noticeable if I ever want to reverse the mods. I then used a dremel to shorten and sand down the 3 metal screws. I hot glued the heads into place so that it looks like I screwed them into the dead pedal when in fact its only held on by tape. Works great and looks great.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #18

Make sure you you use locking nuts or lock-tite. We had a driver at Road America loose a screw on a brake pedal and almost put his car into the wall because the cover was cocked and he couldn't brake properly. Far more dangerous than pretty...but OK on street cars.

jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote