Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #1

New 986 Owner...

Hey everyone,

I just got a black 97' 986...first thing is first, those ambers must go!

I've found nice taillights and side markers for good prices, but are there any alternatives to purchasing a $1000-$2000 set of front headlights? I just want the amber pieces gone, the little but of orange plastic! ahh!

Please let me know if you have any solutions, thanks!

ChrisH027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #2

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome. If all you want is the orange gone, you dont have to buy Litronics (aka xenon) headlights. You can buy a set of clear halgen lights, usually from someone on ebay form $500-600.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #3

Garage
Congrats and welcome, I had a black '00, great car, black looks sweet on a Boxster!

There are tons of "amberectomy" posts all over 986forum, you should be able to find your solution quickly.

Post Pics!

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #4

I recently purchased a 2000 as well. It's a 2.7 green w/chamois (more yellow than tan) interior. It's still at the dealer since March 3 being repaired for a surging issue. I'll post some pics when I finally take possession.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Congrats! I have a 97 also and the only way to get rid of the orange is to buy a new headlight, you have a choice, Clear Halogens or Litronics HID from Porsche... About a $600 price difference from the both but worth it, In my signature image i have the Litronics and i love them.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #6

Congrats and enjoy!

Sounds like a nice ride.

Don't forget to post some pics!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
EE3racing

Chris, I have the litronics as well, always thought the OEM oranges looked like HR Puffenstuff's eyes (then again I'm old and that reference evades you for sure) anyway, as others have mentioned you can save $ looking for clear headlamps non litronic on ebay. However, as others have mentioned the litronics are cooler, may be best to life with it till you find a set or have the $$, enjoy the car and welcome.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing
Chris, I have the litronics as well, always thought the OEM oranges looked like HR Puffenstuff's eyes (then again I'm old and that reference evades you for sure) anyway, as others have mentioned you can save $ looking for clear headlamps non litronic on ebay. However, as others have mentioned the litronics are cooler, may be best to life with it till you find a set or have the $$, enjoy the car and welcome.
LOL I loved HR Puffn'stuff, but I was terrified of witchypoo. Especially in her castle!
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #9

wait for a good deal on litronics, its definitely worth it to get them and to wait for a good deal. i got mine on ebay for 500 bux including shipping. just be patient and you'll get a good deal

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #10

welcome to the forum, and howdy neighbor (sort of)
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #11

Welcome to the forum. I also have a 97 retrofitted with Litronics from the dealer. Cost over $3K installed at the delaer back in 2000. Looks and works much better than the clear halogens. Unfortunately, expensive but worth it. I agree wiht the others live with it and be patient until you find a cheap used set or someone willing to swap you before they sell/trade their car etc.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #12

Here's an idea. I have a passenger side headlight part number 986.631.032.14 sitting in my storage shed (long story how I ended up with it). I would be willing to sell if for $250 + shipping. The matching driver side can be had at the following auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-boxster-clear-headlight-986-996-lh-drivers-side_W0QQitemZ270220782168QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33710 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I ended up buying a brand new set of 996 headlights because I was having trouble finding the matching 986 part. Lucky for you or someone else reading this is the matching light is currently on ebay.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #13

you should be able to get halogens (clear) for about 500-600 on here or 6speed or craigslist or ebay. and you will be able to sell your stock yellows for about 250 or so on ebay. there is a pair of litronics for 850 on craigslist here in los angeles.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:

"Chris, I have the litronics as well, always thought the OEM oranges looked like HR Puffenstuff's eyes (then again I'm old and that reference evades you for sure) anyway, as others have mentioned you can save $ looking for clear headlamps non litronic on ebay. However, as others have mentioned the litronics are cooler, may be best to life with it till you find a set or have the $$, enjoy the car and welcome."

Originally Posted by EE3racing

Hey, I'm from UK origionally, of course I know who HR Puffenstuff is!!!

Thank you everyone for your advice, I will post some pics as soon as I get my car out of the shop......but, that is another story.

Had the car about a day, BOOM, compressor flies off and in doing so damages my crank-case pulley and some other things...pricetag $2000. Perhaps I will do clear HALOGENS for now.

ChrisH027 is offline   Reply With Quote