Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #1

New Guy Questions

:dance: Hello everyone, Here I am the new kid on the block. I will have many more questions but here are a couple for starters. I am a dit-y-guy so I love to get my hands dirty. I was studying the owners manual on my new 2000 Boxter Tiptronic and noticed that there is no mention of trans servicing, type of fluid or anything, just says see dealer. Same for power steering. I am a Lucas fan and like to use their products. Can someone shed light on trans servicing and p/s. Also, I read a discussion on using plastic tie fasteners on the roll bar covers or something like that. I didn't get that, can someone elaborate, as I don't want to loose mine.
Tks. for your patience everyone!
Sincerely,
MR.G.

MR.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #2

Welcome aboard - as you can see, I am relatively new here myself.
I recommend you get the Bentley Service manual and it should answer a lot of questions, I know it does for me. You should be able to find it for around $65 online.

Now get out there and drive your new toy!
Kevin
CT986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome to the Forum!

To elaborate on the tie wraps. The black mesh inserts and plastic windscreen have a nasty habit of flying off the car on the rare occasion. People take preventative measures because replacing these parts can run about $250+, so people will use zip-ties on the mesh screens.
On the windscreen you may want to drill a small hole and use a zip-tie, or just do nothing. Mine fits tight and doesn't rattle, so I don't mess with it. Once again the flying away thing is rare but can happen.
Also, there is some debate about the usefulness of the mesh inserts. I prefer to leave them out because the wind noise reduction is small (if any noise is reduced), and they can block a lot of reward visibility depending on your height. I would play around with the inserts and windscreen and see how you feel about how well they stay in.

Also, I completely agree about the Bentley Manual. I got mine at Christmas, and it is the Bible for Boxsters! It has just about everything you could want to know about a Boxster in it!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #4

Porsche claims the Fluid on this tranny, a ZF-5HP19 mfr’d. by ZF Friedrichshafen AG, is lifetime. It isn't. This is merely a marketing thing. The PNA Rep told me that their service guys expect to service the tranny at some point for other things, such as a leaky Pan Gasket, and do the Filter/Fluid change then

The same tranny is used by BMW, Jaguar, Audi and VW, and they too used to advertise it as a lifetime, service-free unit. At least BMW and Jaguar (haven't checked Audi or VW) have since changed their service schedule from 'lifetime' to a fluid and filter change every 45k mi. at the recommendation of ZF Friedrichshafen AG. Why Porsche hasn't followed suite to date, I have no idea.

ZF Industries (USA distributer for ZF Friedrichshafen AG) were very specific in my inquiries that ONLY ESSO LT 71141 Transmission Fluid is to be used in the tranny. They specifically told me that other fluids (Valvoline, Texaco) which claim compatability with ESSO LT 71141 are not and that they have seen trannys damaged by these fluids. After corresponding with them, I would not even consider using Lucas, or anything other than the prescribed ESSO fluid.

Unlike BMW and Jaguar, Porsche did not include a dipstick with which to measure the fluid level, so you can't check it easily, nor can you add any fluid w/o getting under the car.

While involved (many steps), the Filter and Fluid change is not really difficult. About $30 for the Filter, another $10 for the Pan Gasket and about $120-$130 for the fluid (8 qts.).

You do need some sort of pump and something to measure the temp of the fluid, as you heat the fluid up to a certain temp and then fill until the fluid drips back out. Due to the expansion of ATF, this filling temp is critical to insure the tranny is not over/under filled - between 35°C - 45°C (95°F-113°F). , so it's best to use a large capacity pump to be sure you can add the necessary fluid before the temp gets too high - you add the fluid with the engine idling.

I listed a step-by-step procedure for this DIY. Just go to the DIY section.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote