Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #1

Moving US Porsche to Europe - CLOSEOUT

Been meaning to close this saga out for a while so here goes.

Given the current strength (or lack of it) of the US dollar against the Euro, anyone heading this way for a duration would be a fool not to consider shipping a car. I did the same some 8 months ago with a 2000 2.7 Boxster and after some initial teething trouble, it has turned out to be a worthwhile exercise. Here is a list of the trials that I have battled...

1. Lights - European stand is to have the side fender lights amber and flashing with the indicators. I visited Porsche Netherlands here in the Hague and requested a quote for changing out the wiring - they estimated 500 Euros, "oh, and by the way we will need to reprogram the computer to European std blah blah blah...for another 1000 euros". Hmm.. I thought that this may not have been such an economic incentive after all...

Some quick internet investigative work (thanks to this forum) uncovered Sandy's useful mod (http://wa4ekg.home.att.net/996mods/sidemarkermod.html). While under normal circumstances (i.e. with tools and a garage and not apartment and curb side) I would have done this myself, I instead started a good relationship with a mechanic near my work who was very keen to do this for me, and charge me 100 Euro.

1.1. Lights part 2 - Having made the changes however, after driving for a week, my driving lights blew. While I was concerned that this may have been a direct fault of the modification, I had them replaced (friendly mechanic) and have not had issue with them since (phew).

2. Tyres - There is a requirement in the Netherlands that the tires are approved for the car (bureaucracy at its best). While I don't think they make you change them out on an imported vehicle, they do frown upon it. I previously had Khumo tires on the car, and they were very worn. Khumos were not approved, so I went back to my mechanic and he put on some new Continentals (matching NL specs) which I am way impressed with (both noise and handling). Unsure if the Khumos would have passed but I didn't take the risk.

2.1. Bent wheel - Let's just say that getting sideways on Memorial Drive in Houston and "gently" tapping a curb may have had an impact on the shape of my right rear wheel. I had noticed vibration but assumed it was from the worn tires. This was found not so when I replaced the tires. In the search for a new wheel, I started with my friendly Porsche dealer who advised 1000 Euro minimum. I then checked the German ebay site, checked other various sources, but found the best deal online in Detroit - US$250 + $80 shipping. I neglected to budget the Dutch customs cost (around $140) but all in all a lot cheaper than the other options I had. In short, straight wheel, 4 new tires - life is good (well, at least smooth..).

3. Inspection - while the Porsche dealer told me that the car would not past emissions testing without computer reprogram etc, I had no issues with the test. They do a vigorous test here on emissions, brakes, frame integrity etc, and it passed with flying colours. There is no requirement for a reprogram, nor for Porsche to make any formal changes (except the indicators... ).

4. Insurance - the last step to getting registration was obtaining insurance. This was a pain in the butt and potentially could have been very expensive had I not fought tooth and nail for a better rate with my insurance company.

5. Plates - I had spent 3 months driving around on Texas plates, pulled over by Netherlands finest 3 times, but finally got plates in November. They of course clash with the car colour (yellow plates, red car), but then again, I am now legal and happy!!

6. Radio - not important for registration, but important for sanity. Buying my car second hand I didn't have the radio code. So when they shipped it, the battery was disconnected. I purchased the removal keys (before I read this...http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18982) but found that the left key did not engage. I have just got back from my mechanic who kindly removed the radio (left mechanism was broken) so now am hoping to get the code from Loren off the RennTech forum.

Also today I realised that a US spec radio will not work with European radio stations - frequencies are "even" in Europe where as they are "odd" in the US. Given I don't listen to the radio (1. cannot understand the language and 2. much prefer downloading NPR for my ipod!), if I can get the code I will keep it in for CD/Ipod use, and if not, will check out German ebay for a replacement.

So, no major modification required to get my US car legal here in the Netherlands, simply the light modification, and the rest was my own doing. Given the price of cars here in Europe, I would HIGHLY recommend anyone considering shipping a car this way to give it serious thought.

Many thanks to all those who contributed to this journey. Nuremburg ring, here I come!!

Sincerely

The Kiwi in Europe!

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote