Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

storm damage

i swear...i can't win for losing. i left my car outside last night, and didn't think much about it. around 2pm this afternoon, atlanta's sky decided it wanted to open up and release fatal fury on everything. my entire neighborhood was hit with everything from tennis ball sized hail, and 60mph wind gust for roughly 10 minutes. i'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story....

csu15919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #2

here's the last few pics. the pics of the side of my house with the random holes all through the siding....yeah well EVERYONE'S house on my street has those on various positions on their house. just so happens for me, the storm was blowing towards my garage/driveway, hence why the ass end of my boxster took a beating. there's roughly 12 half dollar sized dings all over my rear trunk and quarter panels. the storm was absolutely INSANE! GA, has declared a state of emergency, especially after a twister landed on the GA dome yesterday, and destroyed large areas of downtown. so yeah...now not only will i be attempting to get my motor fixed, i need body work, a new tail light, a new top, AND siding replaced on the house. with that said...i need a strong drink...and a bible!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #3

Bummer

Looks like my place three weeks ago. The Boxster and the wife's Benz were in the garage, but my new Sierra Denali pickup was in the driveway. $3,300.00 in damage. Still waiting on the final total on the house (7 month old house at that)

On a brighter note, your insurance can buy you clear tails, a GAHH top with the glass rear window, litronics maybe???? My truck is getting a new cowl induction hood at my insurance company's expense (they were replacing the hood anyway and told me that as long as I covered any difference in price, it was cool with them).

Don't get too discouraged. Lemons into lemonade
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #4

I can't imagine how you feel. We missed two biggies today, one went two miles north of here, taking its baseball size hail with it, and one went south taking its hail and tornadoes with it. The little lady was complaining that we never got any rain and I was trying to tell her we didn't want that kind of rain.

Yeah, work with the insurance company and see what improvements you can make.

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #5

What a shame. I wish all of you the best in getting your things and life back to normal
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #6

OUCH!

Whadayagonnado? That's why we have insurance.

Fortunately, you can make it all better.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
That sucks!
At least now you have an excuse to upgrade your car. :ah:
Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #8

I feel you pain

I had to work yesterday, Luckily kept the car in the shop all day(hail in Buford)), Left early, missed one(tornado) in Cumming, Sorry it happend, If it makes you feel better, I waxed her and took her for a spin today, all of a sudden, I develope a miss, and check engine light came on, Its just not a good car weekend.
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #9

I don't know man, it's a hassle, but you pay insurance for this reason. You now get all new siding, color and type of your choice, a total makeover of the interior rooms that were affected, new roofing, ect. It's like having 75% of renovation costs paid for.

For the car, updated tail lights, a top with a glass window, and any other repairs that it needs due to storm. Insurance will pay for the existing parts, but in most cases, the new ones are the same price or close to it.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #10

well, the insurance company came through and gave us an estimate on the house. they supposed to send someone out to take a look at the car. adjuster was supposed to come by today, but a no show. hopefully, i'll have some good news by the end of the week. the insurance company has been swamped with claims so things are taking a lot longer than normal. i'll keep you guys updated!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #11

Dude that sucks squared, but at least you are here to suffer through it. Good luck with the cleanup.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #12

Wow. What the hail took out your back window?? Looks like it must have been a softball-sized chunk of hail.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
FTD

I was watching the storms and tornados, kinda fantasizing about the remodeling I wanted to do and hoping if a tree hit the house, it would hit where I wanted the remodeling - so insurance could help me out! All the tornados missed me. Oh well. [ha ha] Its all in your perspective! I agree with all the comments here - look forward to the new and improved and don't get bummed.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #14

*update*

alright, so finally the insurance company came out to inspect all the damage. he came up with a little of $6k of damage. i found a decent porsche specialty shop not too far from my local dealer and dropped the car off there as soon as the insurance dude left. this shop seems pretty decent, they've built a few track cars. they actually had 2 944 track cars and a 996 cup car in the shop. before we even begin the cosmetic stuff though, he's going to figure out what went wrong with my motor. they're going to get into it first thing monday. meanwhile, i'm going to source out the parts for the exterior. well i'll keep you folks updated!