Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #1

PSS9s or...

Damn, I have too many hobbies!

:dance:

Just arrived today. Straight out of the box, it takes amazing pics and that's with all the default settings. It's gonna take a while to get used to it and read through the manual - 421 pages (literally twice as thick as the manual for my D100). Can't wait to get the Boxster out and start shooting.

BTW, I am going to sell my D50 to fund some accessories for the new D300. The D50 has always been a backup camera since buying it in 11/05 and is hardly used. I have never even had to recharge the battery, probably under 200 pics. shot with it. It takes great photos and I wouldn't sell it except that I wanted to use more of Nikon's Pro firmware which the D50 does not support. This camera, and all the equipment looks and operates as new - not a mark on it. Absolutely no stories!

I'll sell it as a complete pkg. - D50 Body w/ built-in speedlight (6.1MP), Lens (probably AF Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4-5.6G) w/ Nikon lens caps, 62mm UV filter, Nikon CF-D50 Soft Case (optional accessory, never used - NIB), EL-EN3a LiOn battery w/ MC-18 quick charger (1000 shots on one charge), a 2GB Hi-speed Sandisk Memory Card (566 shots on the highest quality setting, over 1,000 on some others) w/ USB card reader (optional accessories), Rubber Eyecup, Nikon ML-L3 wireless remote w/ case (optional accessory), USB cable, AV cable, Eyepiece cap, Hotshoe cap, Body cap, 137 pg. Nikon D50 Manual, Nikon Picture Project 1.5 software, and remainder of 5 yr. extended Nikon warranty - 2 yrs., 9 mos. remaining. With all original Boxes and packaging.

New, it all sold 2 yrs. ago for just over $1100 incl. accessories and extended warranty. I'll list it on CL for $525 + actual S/H. I'll discount that considerably for any member here who may be interested (hope DJ is reading).

This is an excellent advanced consumer DSLR. Digital Photography Review gave it their highest recommendation - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/

There are better cameras out there, but there aren't any better in this condition, at this price. PM me for more details. I'll also list this in the classifieds.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-14-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #2

Lucky bugger. I'd love to get the D300. Bought a D70s a couple of years ago along with the 18-200 VR lens. Love the lens but would really like to upgrade to the DeLight of the D300.

Too bad the price for the old stuff falls thru the floor as soon as the next model comes out, and not too long ago the D200 was "it".

Good luck trying to sell, and get out there and take some pictures! Don't forget to share...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

Yea, the Nikon glass is very good and the ED-IF VR stuff is exceptionally so, the 18-200 in particular.

I've only had the D300 for a few hours and I haven't fully explored the "Active D-Lighting" aka DeLight. As I said, everything is still on its default settings.

I particularly like the fact that with the D300, you can dial-in individual lenses (up to 12 of them) and it's a relief to finally have a clear viewfinder again without all the cross hairs, grid lines and stuff. Haven't had that since my F3HP days.

The D70 is no slouch either. I seriously considered that 2 yrs. ago, but just couldn't see it as a backup camera to my D100.

I hope I can sell the D50 quickly w/ no drama. It's really a great camera for the avg. guy as opposed to the more complex gear. It's various auto modes make anyone look like they're a pro, so I think it has a broader appeal than a D70, 100, or 200 for the avg. guy. Let's hope so!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #4

I like the rugged body of my Olympus E-1, but it is a little big to drag around. BTW, ditto on the expensive hobbies, which tends to be challenging on an educator's salary...

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote