Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #1

Door speaker question

Hi all,

Taking into consideration that a new mounting bracket would have to be made, I was wondering it these would fit in the doors.

Kicker CompVT 08CVT654

They state shallow mount but how shallow do they have to be?

If they would fit, would it be worth it without changing out the amp as well or would these be crap with or without another amp and not worth it at all?

I'm not looking for anything ground pounding, just something with noticeable lows and bass would be nice. It irks me that the factory speakers in the doors seem non-existent unless you put your ear next to them...

Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

Here's a great how-to article on fitting 6-1/2" speakers into the factory door location.
http://images.wikia.com/boxster/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #3

they'll fit w/ a custom mount but you'll definitely need to replace the amp. OEM is only 40W peak - the RMS on those is 150W w/ 300W peak. Plus OEM door speakers are 2Ohm, these are 4Ohm and sensitivity is only 89dB. If you're not looking for bass that can set off other's alarms, why not just put in a quality pair of 6.5" speakers that will maximize the amp's power? They will dramatically improve the low end.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #4

I will look into 6.5s.

I know speakers are a personal preference but do you have any you might suggest or one's to stay away from?

Thanks,

ian
Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #5

it is definitely personal preference but I went w/ Infinity Kappa 6.75" (identical specs as the 6.5" though) b/c I wanted to keep the stock amp. The ratings on these seemed to be the best choice to maximize the 40W available..... I've been pleased w/ them and only needed to make a plywood baffle as outlined in the guide link posted above. If you go to the wiki section on the topic, you'll see I posted a template for a baffle which uses only the stock mounting locations.

If I were to do it again I might try to find some 6x9's to get just a bit lower freq response. They will fit too if you position them accordingly in the baffle.

Plus once you do the hard part of making a baffle, you can easily swap out speakers later if you decide to upgrade to a new higher powered amp and want more powerful speakers. But to me, I enjoy good clean sound w/ moderate low end and these seem to fit the bill. Obviously, not nearly as good as the ML system in my Lexus, but a lot of it has to do w/ acoustics of the car and space constraints.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
c4s

I have the 05S model with the basic bose single disc radio... pulled out the bose amps... and the bose head... replaced with Pioneer AVIC D3 and a memphis amp... the speakers were stock Bose (and frankly Bose spells crap)...

The improvement came from the memphis amp... You can plug in a $250 head unit and a $500 amp... and all your speakers will light up...

I'm an audiophile (home audio)... in the boxster I just wanted: loud enough & clean enough to play over the engine and wind... with blue tooth for good measure... I'd put my money in the amp and head unit...

c4s is offline   Reply With Quote