Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #1

Oil Level

A couple of weeks ago, I took my 00 Boxster S to Jiffy Lube for an oil change. (I know, but it was less than half the dealer price.) They dutifully added 9 quarts of 0W40 Mobil 1 and I was off on my way in less than half an hour.

The other day, I looked at the oil level indicator and it pegged out when the car was cold. I took it for a short drive and when I got back, checked the dipstick. It confirmed the tank is full. My question is about taking it on the track. Somewhere I have it in my mind that it should be about 1/2 quart down when cold to allow for expansion when the car heats up and the oil expands.

Is that right and, if it is, does anyone have an easy way to extract the oil other than pulling the drain plug and quickly putting it back in?

Thanks,

Art

nylart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #2

Some "experienced" track junkies like to have that 1/2 qt. leeway. Others say, if the factory wanted a 1/2 qt. less, they'd'a left it with 8-1/2 qts.

Not much help, I know, you'll just have to take it for what its worth.

Jason
jderiansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #3

I don't think you have a problem. You might be .5 Qt. high, but only if all the bars are showing - you should be 1 bar from the top of the gauge. But, according to TSB Boxster 2/99 1701 1, a revised capacity of 9.25 Qts. was issued for an Oil and Filter change, so you are probably looking at .25 Qt. overfill at most. This is likely if JiffyLube failed to observe the recommended 20 minute (min.) draining time.

I don't think .5/.25 Qt. is going to make much difference when the Oil capacity is as much as the Boxster's is. Not only that, but the dash gauge and dipstick were not recalibrated to the revised levels either.

On the earlier cars, there were reports of Oil starvation in hi-G turns and there were 2 fixes for this. There was additional baffling available for the sump and there is also a sump extension kit available. Additional baffling was added standard later on, but unsure of the MY.

Maybe the only issue you could have would be some smoke if you overload the Air/Oil Separator, but I don't think that'd happen with just an extra .5/.25 Qt. I'd be surprised if you had any issues with foaming and think you're OK.

If it really bothers you, you can always extract the .5/.25 Qt. This can be done by using a MityVac and a small jar and capillary tube from the dipstick tube, or you could get a clean drain pan, remove the Filter cannister which should drain about 1 Qt., replace filter and then carefully measure the amount you wish to refill.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-10-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

so just how much oil does a 2001 Boxster S take?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK_Betty
so just how much oil does a 2001 Boxster S take?
I don't believe that the TSB Boxster 2/99 1701 1 has ever been superceded by a later one, though I may be wrong - I don't have a current revised PET.

A downward revision would seem unlikely though.

This TSB lists capacity as:

Effective immediately, the new filling capacities should be used on all Boxsters, retroactively, until further notice. Please correct your Technical Manual accordingly.
  • Oil change without filter - 8.5 liters (9 quarts), formerly 7.75 liters

Oil change with filter - 8.75 liters (9.25 quarts), formerly 8.25 liters

This TSB also notes:

A draining time of 20 minutes is required to attain the proper oil level.
Always confirm oil level by checking the dipstick.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-18-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #6

my 98 was overfilled with oil which became abundantly clear during an autocross in a high speed left turn. Never seen so much smoke. Repair shop said I was about a quart overfilled. Since then I've had some minor smoke from time to time in turns in autocrosses but would rather have a puff of smoke than risk starving the engine. that being said, blowing oil into the exhaust will ruin your cats at $1400 each. your safest bet would be to bring it to a shop and have them service it, they only charged me for a half hour labor to remove a quart of oil and verify all the levels were good.
986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #7
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986barnum
my 98 was overfilled with oil which became abundantly clear during an autocross in a high speed left turn. Never seen so much smoke.
Same thing happened to me at Little Talladega - a left turn no less. Common thoughts were that I had too much oil, although the dipstick didn't look heavy. What I decided is on the next oil change I will measure what I pour out before I add the new, and add that amount of fresh oil - rather than just dumping in the amount stated in the owner's manual. From there I will use the dipstick and OBC gauge to decide if I need to add more. Maybe I should even add the drained out amount, run the engine for a few minutes, let it cool, then measure again. Anyway, "Lessons Learned". The huge clouds of smoke in this particular turn were disturbing and I was concerned about being stranded in Alabama.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 AM   #8

As has been mentioned before, in any type of Track or Auto-X, I think you have to go off spec and add whatever you feel is appropriate to your conditions and your car. But, I suspect that the reason for this increased capacity was the reports of oil starvation to the bearing experienced when tracking the early cars - fairly well documented.

One thing occurs to me though, Porsche put out this TSB increasing the oil quantity spec, but they did not address the measurement of this added amount.

They do not recalibrate the electronic oil level indicator or knotch the dipstick to show the proper revised amount. In others words, if you rely on these instruments, your Oil level will be below the revised quantity - under-filled to the revised spec.

For those with dipsticks, I suggest (and will perform myself) that you take a dipstick reading when you know that the proper amount has been added (just after an oil change), pull the dipstick and note where the level sits (presumably it will be higher than the Maximum Fill Line). Then take a file and score the dipstick at that point to give you a revised maximum fill line. You'll still have the original fill line too. The difference between these two lines should also be used to determine where the revised Add Oil line should be. While I would not score the dipstick to create another Add Oil line, I would look for the difference between the actual level and the Add Oil line to determine whether any was needed.

If you don't have the dipstick and must rely solely on the electronic oil gauge, you would now need to fill to the top bar on the gauge. Each bar represents approx. 8oz. or .25 Ltr. Since the original Full measurement was the 2nd to top bar, increasing the capacity by .25 Qt. means you must now use the top bar as your Full guide. On problem here is that you no longer have an over-filled indicator on the gauge as you in fact had before.

Finally, it's possible that Porsche did recalibrate these gauges for cars produced after this TSB was introduced, but I can find nothing stating that it has. So, you have to decide which bar (the top or second from the top) you want to use. But for the early cars, the top line should be your new Full line for sure.

Just remember to change your oil on a level surface and allow it to drain at least 20 min. (30 is probably better) to make sure that the proper amount has been drained, and that you warm up the engine (and Oil) before draining it so that it flows properly and so all the dirt and gunk is in suspension so it will drain with the oil.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #9

I'm having a tough time finding 0W40 Mobil 1 anywhere locally beyond the stealership.

Has anyone found a larger store chain (Walmart, etc.) carrying it that might have locations in Houston?

I'll be buying 10 quarts after this thread read, by the way!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I'm having a tough time finding 0W40 Mobil 1 anywhere locally beyond the stealership.

Has anyone found a larger store chain (Walmart, etc.) carrying it that might have locations in Houston?

I'll be buying 10 quarts after this thread read, by the way!
Try finding the Mobil Distributor in Houston. These often will do 'Will Call' sales.

That's where I get mine in my city and it's $2/qt. cheaper than retail as well, if you can even find the right weight retail.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard

On the earlier cars, there were reports of Oil starvation in hi-G turns and there were 2 fixes for this. There was additional baffling available for the sump and there is also a sump extension kit available. Additional baffling was added standard later on, but unsure of the MY.

Are these 2 fixes offered my Porsche, Could i go buy them at the dealer?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #12

RN,
Do you have Autozone in your neck of the woods?

I called Mobil 1 a while back asking about those big 3 quart jugs they sell at Wal-Mart from time to time and they said while those jugs were not available for 0 weight they directed me to Autozone as as one of their biggest distributors.
The price I paid at Autozone was the lowest going aside from going to Wal-Mart which is a hassle I needn't be bothered with. I don't how the Wal-Mart experience is elsewhere but up here it means waiting on some long ass line after chasing down a clerk who has no idea what Mobil 1 is and why the shelf is empty for 0 weight. Not to mention there's something just wrong about buying oil for a fine German sports car at a place that sells Big Macs. Something is differently wrong with America when this is the biggest employer in the country.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-19-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Are these 2 fixes offered my Porsche, Could i go buy them at the dealer?
http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=x51pan&Category_Code=987s

http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/instructions/R9095.pdf
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-19-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Hmm the second link... the PDF looks alot easier to install. Any idea how much that spacer costs?

EDIT: I called a vendor in Las Vegas, Looks like it comes with the spacer, new Baffle and screws for about $230... I probably will get it in the next month cause i WANT to track my car but havent yet... just would be nice to have peice of mind.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 03-19-2008 at 12:19 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #15

how much did your oil change and jiffy lube cost?

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote