Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #1

boxter OBC retrofit Australia

Purchased 2004 boxter this year now looking for a workshop or person that can retrofit the OBC so that I can activate distance to empty. Every Porsche dealer in Queensland says it can not be done. If anyone knows where I can get some help with this problem I would be most greatful.

weisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #2

See these:

http://www.ppbb.com/scgi-bin/boards/986/museum.pl?noframes;read=207508

http://www.brackenrig.net/OBC_Hack.htm

http://www.whiteson.org/boxster/mods/obc/

It's a pretty easy DIY Hack (took me under 1 hr.), but you have to get the dealer to turn the OBC on beforehand using the PST2 or PIWIS diagnostic tools. There have been other reports of dealers being reluctant to downright stating it's not possible - untrue. Keep persisting, find another dealer or independent with the diagnostic tools listed above. Good Luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-19-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree! Stay persistent, and tell them to at least try and tun the OBC on. They've got nothing to lose, by at least trying.
It is a fairly simple DIY, and you shouldn't have any problems doing it yourself. I had never done anything like this to a car before, and it took me under an hour to do this hack.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the help. My problem is finding somneone who will activate the OBC here in Queensland Australia. So far no one is willing to help in this respect.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #5

Well, that's a problem, because it is the only way to activate it.

Again, be persistant! Try to contact your Porsche Australia (regional?) Rep and see if he can help.

Also, you may be able to get some leeway at a dealership if you have them service the car for something else.

I got mine turned on when I had the car in to check out an issue with the Tiptronic. They had to use the PST2 for diagnosis for this. I didn't drop off the car, I stayed with it. While waiting, I was able to wander to the service area and while the Tech had it all hooked up, I asked if he could pull the Radio Code while he was in there - that I'd lost my code card (I hadn't) and also asked if that 'thing' (PST2) also turned on the outside temp feature (knowing full well that this activates the OBC). He said "Sure, easy, I'll turn it On for you". The problem turned out to be a dirty selector switch which they just cleaned up and I was out the door for $45, and no mention of the other PST2 services on the invoice.

Now, I don't know if the Dealer (Service Mgr.) would have been reluctant to perform the service or not, but it didn't matter as I went straight to the source.

Also, check with your local Porsche club. Someone there may own, or have access to a PST2 or PIWIS Tester. You just activate the OBC from a menu. Good luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-19-2008 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 AM   #6

Hi Guys,

May have cracked it. A local Porsche service centre supervisor has agreed to check the OBC next week for me so I will follow your advise and hopefully look over his shoulder and request he switch the OBC on for all functions. I will return with details next week. thanks once again for your help.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisback
Hi Guys,

May have cracked it. A local Porsche service centre supervisor has agreed to check the OBC next week for me so I will follow your advise and hopefully look over his shoulder and request he switch the OBC on for all functions. I will return with details next week. thanks once again for your help.
Don't ask him to "switch the OBC on for all functions" because that would be a giveaway and the Dealer wants to sell the OBC feature and associated hardware. That's one of the reasons they often won't activate it because it enables the DIY hack.

Best to simply ask them to turn on the outside temperature display. It the exact same thing. But, you won't be giving away your true intentions.

1999 Porsche Boxster