Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

Red face Car shuts off by itself after rough idle problem-video included

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-mHYcJsgvo

I have a 2000 Boxster S with 50 000 miles

CPO warranty until November 2009

Well I got stuck in the snow around 6pm tonight and had to a lot of reving in 1st gear followed by reving in reverse for like 30 mins straight...

I finally managed to get my car to move with the help of about 5 guys and then drove my car back to my garage and parked her safely with no fuss.

Now about 30 mins ago I wanted to start it up to make sure it's ok, and this happens:

Note: *On friday March 7th I took my car to the dealership and they replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor under my extended CPO warranty. Dealer said my car was perfect aside from the mass airflow sensor: no leaks no nothing*

The car idles at 500RPMs and then goes to 1000RPMs and then back to 500RPMs and then back to 1000RPMs. It does this for a good 20 seconds along with a very sorry-weak engine noise and all of a sudden the engine kind of shuts down calmly by itself.

All of this is happening without me doing anything: I'm not touching any pedals.

I started the car again and tried to get it moving a bit but it just died.

It's not a battery problem because my radio and lights work fine.

My car never did this before.

Please help, I know a lot of you are stuck at home because of the weather so chime in!

Last edited by Jacques79; 03-08-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #2

Garage
Are you handy enough to work on your car? If yes, then remove the engine cover, disconnect the battery (make sure you have your radio security code) and finally MAF electrical connector (on the J tube behind the air filter box). Connect the battery and start the car, which will drop it into "limp home" mode. Observe whether the car runs better, if yes, it COULD be the MAF. From what I've learned, the MAF has nothing to do with rough or chasing idles. The most common reason for a rough and/or chasing idle is a vacuum leak somewhere. My rough and chasing idle was caused by a small slit in one of the rubber sleeves behind the throttle body. While you're at it, cleaning the throttle body is a good DIY which will help too. Many posts here and on other boards.

To remove the actual MAF you'll need a security Torx bit set available at Sears.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 AM   #3

Car getting towed to the dealership in an hour, I should have an answer by noon today.

My bet is on the MAF sensor they replaced a few days ago. Maybe it wasn't done properly?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:26 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
My bet is on the MAF sensor they replaced a few days ago. Maybe it wasn't done properly?
Hard to mess up a MAF sensor install, two screws and an electrical connection, I guess they could have installed it backwards or failed to properly seat the connector. Anyway, good luck and keep us updated.

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I've had a new Dealer installed MAF go bad about 3 weeks after it was installed so its not uncommon... I've experienced getting new BAD maf before so i know it happens from time to time.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #6

if it's not the MAF, see my post on this subject over on Rennlist. a vacuum leak is a likely culprit (oil separator bellows, oil fill tube, oil cap, etc.)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #7

Verdict is in: Porsche says it's a defective throttle body. They ordered a new one for my car which should be installed in 1-2 days.

They tried installing another new MAF sensor but it didn't help at all.

Hopefully the new throttle body fixes the problem because I DON'T want to have to go back to Porsche next week....

And they refused to give me a loaner car even though my Boxster has been in repairs friday, today and will be tomorrow!

I called Porsche North America to complain but they told me : ''each dealer is independant''
Old 03-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Verdict is in: Porsche says it's a defective throttle body. They ordered a new one for my car which should be installed in 1-2 days.

They tried installing another new MAF sensor but it didn't help at all.

Hopefully the new throttle body fixes the problem because I DON'T want to have to go back to Porsche next week....

And they refused to give me a loaner car even though my Boxster has been in repairs friday, today and will be tomorrow!

I called Porsche North America to complain but they told me : ''each dealer is independant''
defective throttle body? we'll see......

i'm doubtful this will cure the problem.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
defective throttle body? we'll see......

i'm doubtful this will cure the problem.
I agree, very doubtful....funny if it turned out to be a dirty throttle body which could be fixed in fifteen minutes with a can of carb cleaner, so typical of a stealership

'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
I agree, very doubtful....funny if it turned out to be a dirty throttle body which could be fixed in fifteen minutes with a can of carb cleaner, so typical of a stealership

Well I really don't care because the car is under warranty anyways so it will cost Porsche a new throttle body.

I agree with the fact that they could of just cleaned a few pipes here and there and solve the problem; but if they are willing to put the throttle body under warranty I'm all for it cause my car is getting a brand new lung at 50 000 miles, it won't hurt performance

My only worry is that if this doesn't fix the problem they will have to keep my car longer and they are refusing to lend me a courtesy loaner car while the repairs are ongoing...

My CPO warranty specifically states that if a repair takes more than 24 hours I am entitled to free rental car.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
When you first received the car back from the dealership did you have the idling problem?

I don't see how an e-gas set up could have this issue. Did they say exactly what happened to the old throttle body?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
When you first received the car back from the dealership did you have the idling problem?

I don't see how an e-gas set up could have this issue. Did they say exactly what happened to the old throttle body?
No the problem surfaced the next day. They changed the MAF sensor on friday and on saturday night I had the idle issue but that was a few hours after I sent 30 mins reving the car like crazy because it was stuck in snow.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
No the problem surfaced the next day. They changed the MAF sensor on friday and on saturday night I had the idle issue but that was a few hours after I sent 30 mins reving the car like crazy because it was stuck in snow.
I wonder if the little part that opens and closes the butterfly on the t.b. loosened.

Keeps us updated por favor.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I wonder if the little part that opens and closes the butterfly on the t.b. loosened.

Keeps us updated por favor.
Maybe the fact that I reved the car too much while the car was stuck in the snow and not moving clogged the throttle body with dirt-crap-residue?

Porsche said they managed to get a code saying faulty throttle body.

Oh well, if they mess it up it's just going to cost them more money because I'm gonna send my car straight to the dealer again at the slighest hint of another problem.

I should have an answer tomorrow or wednesday.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
Quote:
Maybe the fact that I reved the car too much while the car was stuck in the snow and not moving clogged the throttle body with dirt-crap-residue?

Porsche said they managed to get a code saying faulty throttle body.

Oh well, if they mess it up it's just going to cost them more money because I'm gonna send my car straight to the dealer again at the slighest hint of another problem.

I should have an answer tomorrow or wednesday.

Bonjour Jacques, si çà t'intéresse, va jeter un oeil dans Performance talks, intercooler. Tu trouveras les détails de modifications de mon Boxster.
Pour ton problême, n'aurait-il pas avalé trop de neige, as-tu vérifié la boite du filtre à air...
À +
Jacques
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinzgo
Bonjour Jacques, si çà t'intéresse, va jeter un oeil dans Performance talks, intercooler. Tu trouveras les détails de modifications de mon Boxster.
Pour ton problême, n'aurait-il pas avalé trop de neige, as-tu vérifié la boite du filtre à air...
À +
Jacques
salut

euh je comprends pas trop le lien entre ton intercooler et mon idle problem mais merci quand meme

Ouaip Porsche a tout verifie et y parait que c'est le throttle body..on verra bien demain
Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #17

I got my car back today and the idle problem has been fixed thanks to a brand new throttle body.

thanks to everyone that replied to my post and helped me out, I appreciate it a lot