Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #1

Racing a Boxster

I have been racing a '82 SC in NASA GTS-3 and it has been getting more and more expensive to keep up with an air cooled car.
We have owned several Boxster's since '97 and always loved the way the car handled on the track.
Is there anybody on this site that is racing a Boxster or Boxster S? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am familiar with the spec Boxster program but I would prefer to run an S and stay competitive in NASA.
Thanks,
Chad

stuttgart46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #2

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0521e17c7658417c3cb3c1ccf149e8 d7&board=1.0
SilentThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #3

I know this is a minority thought here.. but honestly, the aircooled 911 motors are so damn reliable I think you might want to investigate BoxsterSpec racers and others and ask about engine issues. Sure, some will say you can get a new 2.5 for only a few K.. but it sure it a heck of a way to kill a weekend.

What exactly is getting more expensive? It would seem to me developing a car like the Boxster for sucessful racing in any venue would be even more expensive as there are less "tried and true" experiences out there.

Racing is NEVER cheap, unless you get a dedicated spec racer like, say Spec Racer Ford for example.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
c4s

There are a handful of boxsters being raced in SoCal right now... I'm a part owner in one... they're 98/99 vintage... the spec sheet is pretty straight forward... no engine mods... 17 kumos, suspension and brake mods...

Stuttgart Motors in Costa Mesa should have the full spec... If you buy a used 98/99 plan on adding $7k to $11k... depending upon cage and fire suppression... Lastly... hard top required.
c4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #5

That's funny, I have a friend that bought a SRF this morning.
I understand that the air cooled motors are dependable but the cost of parts and their availability has changed over the past few years. Not to mention that to get the most out of an air cooled motor you have to twist it pretty hard which requires "freshening" after every couple of races.
I don't expect racing to be cheap.
stuttgart46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttgart46
That's funny, I have a friend that bought a SRF this morning.
I understand that the air cooled motors are dependable but the cost of parts and their availability has changed over the past few years. Not to mention that to get the most out of an air cooled motor you have to twist it pretty hard which requires "freshening" after every couple of races.
I don't expect racing to be cheap.
My brother ran an SRF for most of a season before looking for an openwheeler. IIRC, He had to buy brake pads and tires... oh, and gas and oil. That was about it on the parts expenditure. Very close racing and obviously, very economical for a race car.

I am not too familiar with NASA classes vs, say, PCA Club Race classes, but anything beyond "stock" class is another level of expenditures.

The Boxster spec racing looks like a neat way to prepare the car. They are a great platform out of the box... I had a fairly modified SC and, when I got the Boxster, and put R comps on it, I was very close in lap times... And that was with zero suspension development. A "built" boxster has always sounded like fun to me.. but my budget isn't there yet
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
c4s

The boxster racing link

Here's the link for the Boxster spec racing parts... notice no engine mods... you're in a "race ready" boxster for about 22k to 25k... assuming you buy a used 98/99 to race....

Hardtop mandatory... fire suppression, roll cage, battery tie down highly recommended... billsteins's nice...

http://www.stuttgartperformance.com/ccp/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F608332&rnd=549593&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=cat&ref=bsr

c4s is offline   Reply With Quote