View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttgart46
That's funny, I have a friend that bought a SRF this morning.
I understand that the air cooled motors are dependable but the cost of parts and their availability has changed over the past few years. Not to mention that to get the most out of an air cooled motor you have to twist it pretty hard which requires "freshening" after every couple of races.
I don't expect racing to be cheap.
My brother ran an SRF for most of a season before looking for an openwheeler. IIRC, He had to buy brake pads and tires... oh, and gas and oil. That was about it on the parts expenditure. Very close racing and obviously, very economical for a race car.

I am not too familiar with NASA classes vs, say, PCA Club Race classes, but anything beyond "stock" class is another level of expenditures.

The Boxster spec racing looks like a neat way to prepare the car. They are a great platform out of the box... I had a fairly modified SC and, when I got the Boxster, and put R comps on it, I was very close in lap times... And that was with zero suspension development. A "built" boxster has always sounded like fun to me.. but my budget isn't there yet
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote