Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

2000 boxter engine conversion options

I love my Boxter. It just needs another 100hp so I want to do a conversion of my 2.7 litre engine to either a 3.4 or 3.6 996 or 997 engine. I am planning to get a used engine, but how much is a new remanufactred engine, who is a source for getting a new remanufactored engine, what about using a used one? which option would you go with, without spending a TON of money? Which engine is better for a 2000 2.7 to use; a 3.4, or 3.6? OK, give me the scoop all of you pro's. Last question, will it be hard to sell this car after the conversion is complete? will it appreciate or depreciate?
Thanks

Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #2

First start with a budget. That will determine where you go. The 3.4 is the easiest and cheapest as I understand it, because you don't have to uprate the DME (at least that's what I understand). You're fortunate in that you are already setup for egas. The earlier cars require more work.

With the 3.6, you have to spend more on ancillaries, like a new DME. There is a company in the UK which can rebuild these things upwards of 3.7Ltrs. and I bet it's a screamer, but it ain't cheap. And I don't think any of them offer an additional 100Hp, though I may be wrong.

I think if it's done right, and documented fully (especially photodocumented), it won't have a detremental effect when you sell it, but I doubt it'd inflate the selling price very much. What it may do is sell the car faster.

But, any mod like this on a relatively plentiful production car can't be thought of in terms of a financial return. You'll get the return through improved power and that should be good enough. If it isn't, I might rethink the whole idea.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-23-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #3

cost

if you have someone do it like Roock motorsports in atlanta, a 3.4 conversion would cost about 15 grand. That is what they quoted me when I bought my boxster from them.
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If your interested in a car with 300+hp, you bought the wrong car. I don't think anyone has added 100hp to a Boxster (but I may be wrong), but if it has been done it cost well over $14k to do. Boxster's weren't designed for drag racing, they were designed for high speed handling. Looking at the cost to benefit ratio you might be better off, with another car if you want 100hp more.
A 3.4L is possible, but it won't deliver the hp you want.
Just my $0.02!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #5

@rick3000

Well said, I completely agree. If the sky was the limit, I'd look into Autofarm's built engines - http://www.autofarm.co.uk/ . They have a very good rep overseas. I'd buy it as a crate engine which would work for me as my state has no emmissions testing or certification.

In terms of reliability, I'm more comfortable with their Silsleeve liners than the cast-in-place Lokasil liners Porsche uses. In theory (and largely in practice) this cast-in-place method is OK. But the number of failures, due to improper casting and flow of the material, is, IMO, less reliable than a separately cast/machined insert liner. They also seem to have done a better job than Porsche in eliminating the IMS issue.

But, all-in, you're staring uncomfortably close to $20K (with shipping, Duty and currency exchange). I guess I don't love the Boxster that much to make that kind of commitment.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-23-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #6

re: autofarm's silsleeve liners: I noticed they used nikasil.

Nikasil was what the old jaguar v8's had (pre 2000) and what the failed BMW v-8s had before they started using a different substance. The jaguar motors were good to about 40-50k miles.

As I understand it, the nikasil was attaked by the higer sulphur fuels found in the US. But I believe we use lower sulphur fuels now so it shouldn't be a problem. Interesting reading if you google nikasil with bmw or jaguar. Lots of engine failures credited to that stuff, but it may not be an issue now if we don't have sulphur in the fuel anymore.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaber
re: autofarm's silsleeve liners: I noticed they used nikasil.

Nikasil was what the old jaguar v8's had (pre 2000) and what the failed BMW v-8s had before they started using a different substance. The jaguar motors were good to about 40-50k miles.

As I understand it, the nikasil was attaked by the higer sulphur fuels found in the US. But I believe we use lower sulphur fuels now so it shouldn't be a problem. Interesting reading if you google nikasil with bmw or jaguar. Lots of engine failures credited to that stuff, but it may not be an issue now if we don't have sulphur in the fuel anymore.
You're right, BMW and Jag did have issues with it. But, not all applications did, so there must have been something peculiar to the way the Nikasil was formulated or applied by BMW and Jaguar to cause the problem.

Ferrari and Lotus used Nikasil liners in their engines as far back as 1983. And while they each have their own issues, quirks, failings, or what not, the Nikasil coated liners were never one of them. Nikasil is also very popular with many Motorcycle engine Mfrs., they too didn't have issues with them either.

From what I understand, Nikasil is a much more proven technology than Lokasil. At least, I'm a little more comfortable with it.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 02-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #8

I'm surprised to hear of problems with nikasil. Nikasil has been the material of choice for air cooled 911 engines since the 70's.

As far as autofarm is concerned, their silsleeve liners are steel. Other manufacturers have had problems with head gaskets when interfacing aluminum heads with iron. I would like to hear how their engines fare over the long term and what warranty they offer.

After reading autofarms site, it got me thinking of another cylinder mfr LN Engineering, who makes aluminum cylinders for air cooled VW and porsche. Lo and behold, they have also started to make nikasil/aluminum cylinders for boxster. Check it out here: http://www.lnengineering.com/boxster.html
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #9

Yea, LN Engineering is great. They make excellent CNC billet alloy cylinders for the 356 and early 912 engines.

You raise a valid point, and I agree. You properly pointed out that as far as the Head/Block interface is concerned, the proper head gasket will most likely eliminate any concerns. Perhaps they're using the Steel liners in order to stiffen the engine as they mention an issue with the engine twisting, maybe this is the fix.

As far as a warranty, AutoFarm gives a 12 month/12k mi. warranty which is pretty standard I think, not better, but standard.

I checked their site and they mention that the liners are produced by Perfect Bore LTD. of Andover. Perfect Bore LTD. is now part of the German owned Capricorn Group. These guys are well respected and have been making engine liners for Formula 1 applications since '95 and have been doing Nikasil coating since '99, so they seem like a good outfit - http://www.capricorngroup.net/en/standorte/andover-gb.html

The early Lotus engines used cast iron liner, Ferrari used them too. The Brits have a history of using cast iron liners in alloy blocks.

I admit, an alloy liner is probably better, and I'd rather have it. But I doubt the steel ones present much of an issue if you get the head gasket right.

It's interesting that LNE is producing them. That would seem to indicate that there are people out there who are rebuilding or modifying these engines beyond the current DME Flashing/Exhaust/Intake methods. That traditional engine building techniques modifying the internals such as Bore/Stroke, Cams, Cranks etc. may soon become more widely available. Glad to see that! :dance:
1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-23-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #10

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info, but I think some of you didn't understand my question, I am going to do a swapp, putting in either a 3.4 or a 3.6 911 Carrera eninge n the car. I will not be modifying my 2.7, just dong an engine swap and the 3.4 & 3.6 make over 100hp of the 2.7. I was just wondering what everyone thought about putting a 3.4 or a 3.6 into the boxster. I am a professional driver, and have won many championships in various series over the last 20 years. Road Racing, so I am not attempting to drag race my Boxster as one of you suggested, I just want the car to have a bone stock engine that has another litre. My Boxster is just my daily driver. No racing on the boxster although my car handles very well and low, medium an high speed corners.

Thanks Guys

Falco is offline   Reply With Quote