Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #1

Sage Gauge Advice?

I'm kicking around the idea of adding some gauges to my car - oil pressure, oil temperature, and AFR. This ******************** ain't cheap, but what's nice is that you can always pull it out of the car and transfer gauges/sensors to your next ride. So I see it as more of a long-term investment, rather than something just for this one car. I'm willing to invest a bit in this then, maybe $1,200 or so.

I've got an HKS CAMP system installed now, but unfortunately I didn't buy all of the sensors for it and that stuff is ALL discontinued. I can't get it anywhere. What are your thoughts/experiences with other high-end gauge systems like the Autometer Nexus, Defi-Link, PLX Devices, etc.? I'd like something which has the ability to warn you when you exceed some parameter. So far I like the Defi-Link the best, but I don't see that they have an AFR as a part of their system. The new HKS CAMP2 has just been released too, so I may just upgrade and go that route...

Thoughts? Anyone here have the Autometer 2 gauge pod for the steering wheel? It's the only pod mount I've seen sold for the Boxster, but I've never seen a photo of one installed.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Kirk,
What about this one? It looks versatile and you can set it up the way you want. Reasonable too.
http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html

Last edited by Topless; 02-22-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Kirk,
What about this one? It looks versatile and you can set it up the way you want. Reasonable too.
http://www.gtechpro.com/egs.html

That's cool, but it's pretty much limited to a tach with warnings and data logging. I've already got that with my HKS CAMP. What I'm looking for is a more complete system where I can do oil temp, oil pressure, AFR, and probably water temp and EGT in the future with the ability to have alarms for each gauge.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Thoughts? Anyone here have the Autometer 2 gauge pod for the steering wheel? It's the only pod mount I've seen sold for the Boxster, but I've never seen a photo of one installed.

I looked into gauges allot Kirk, I would love to have gauges that would warn me if the levels reached a predetermined level. But I did not want to spend the money for them. I decided to go with a VDO setup. I placed a boost gauge and oil temp in my HVAC slot.

In time I will add a series of LEDs to my tach to notify me of full boost and another for over boost. AFR and other functions will be monitored through a Brockway 920 mounted in the normal radio location.

I could not find a picture of the 2 gauge pod for the Boxster either. I did buy the single gauge pod and figured a way to mount it for my boost gauge, The reason I did not use it was the mechanical boost tubes looked like &*^% exposed on my savanah dash and I did not want to dismantle my dash to do the best looking install so I compromised.

In my search for gauges I liked the Nexus line the best because they had all of the features and they looked OEM, the reason I did not go with them was that the illumination is not adjustable. I drive with my dash lights at about 20% of total brightness and having bright gauges in my vision would drive me nuts.

Most of the LED lit gauges do not have the ability to adjust their illumination, the manufacturers all said LEDs can not my dimmed. I don't think they are right but I was not going to argue with them, I just did not buy their products.

Good luck in your search. On my home computer I have links to all kinds of gauge companies. I will post them here tomorrow.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
That's cool, but it's pretty much limited to a tach with warnings and data logging. I've already got that with my HKS CAMP. What I'm looking for is a more complete system where I can do oil temp, oil pressure, AFR, and probably water temp and EGT in the future with the ability to have alarms for each gauge.
You might want to give it another look. They say it can be set up to give A/F ratio, oil temp, oil pressure, boost pressure, ign. timing, coolant temp, wideband readout, etc. Nearly any sensor you have can be displayed on it with a scrolling display. I have not used one but it looks interesting.

Would your Camp system display the same thing with sensor input adapters? Maybe so.

Last edited by Topless; 02-22-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote