Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #1

End of the 2 dr sports car....

I know we have all been hearing about this car for some time. Just saw this picture and video.
http://www.pistonheads.com/porsche/default.asp?storyId=17612

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't think 2-door sports cars are going anywhere soon. This is just Porsche's attempt to break into the MB and BMW sedan market.

Personally, I have always been upset me that my dad was able to have multiple 2-door sports cars in the '60's-'70's, because today there are only four or five sporty 2-door cars in production (for under $30k). They may not be popular anymore, but they are never going disappear.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 AM   #3

Yuck. Looks vaguely Japanese, like a Lexus.

They'll probably sell like crazy.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #4

Its just part of the evolution of Porsche into a major player in the auto market. Twenty years ago, who would have thought that they would make an SUV.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #5

First impression: Looks like a Dodge Magnum from certain angles, especially in Red
Second impression: Stretch 911 with the shape of the rear and the extra doors
Third impression: 928 (overall profile) crossed with a Z4 (lines) and a Cayenne (front end)
Final impression: I don't like the Cayenne either, meaning this will sell like hotcakes too...
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'm not too fond of it either, but if it (like the Cayenne) brings in the money so that Porsche can continue R&D on better mid and rear engine sports cars then I will live with this necessary evil.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:20 AM   #7

I'm not a Fan.

But, recently, Porsche isn't making money on cars anyway. They're making their money on Stocks, Hedge Funds and Currency exchange.

Boxster sales continue to decline for the 6th year in a row. 911 sales are up, but the total units sold are still not too impressive, except for a niche player (which Porsche essentially is).

The bulk of the growth in Car Sales comes from the Cayenne. The Panamera will likely go gangbusters out of the box, but will that be sustainable 2 or 3 yrs. after release? No one can say.

I'm not too worried about the future of the 2-door ragtop, though small, it's a solid market. What I do see disappearing is the 2-door coupe' as it lacks the practicality many of today's buyers demand.

But, hey, if I was that good at predicting the future, I'd buy a chair on the exchange, and build the largest private garage and collection on earth!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #8

Contrary to most opinions here I think this is a good thing. Porsche need to produce a sports sedan that has Porsche performance but more practicality than the current line-up. There are a number of buyers in the market looking at the RS4, M3, and C63 who would welcome a Porsche alternative. They just need to make sure it competes or exceeds the list above in performance.

Regarding the styling, I'm not a big fan. The front looks fine the rear looks very odd.

Where this could go very wrong is if they don't build the performance in and it's just a sedan. That would blow.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #9

Agree that from a business standpoint it may be a good thing. I just wonder whether it's possible to release a car or a series of cars so "ugly" or, more properly, out of line with the traditional styling that the marque begins to tarnish a bit.

I look at the latest 911, Boxster, or Cayman and see a car that looks like a Porsche. The Cayenne doesn't do it for me, but at least you can say, "they had to market an SUV - and how could that look anything like their cars." I find this new vehicle a little more disturbing because it is back into the car class and just doesn't have any of the beauty or elegance that signifies the brand. At least to my eye... understand that others may see it differently.

I guess this is another along the lines of the 924/944/928/968 vehicles... "oddballs" in the sense that they deviated rather sharply from the tradition of the 911 and roadsters.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #10

I dont like it.
But I did not like the Cayenne either at first, in the future I want to like this sedan, but as of now it does not do it for me.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg

Last edited by Gary in BR; 02-17-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I don't think 2-door sports cars are going anywhere soon.
I think you misunderstood my attempt to be sarcastic. I know the 2dr sports car isn't going anywhere, but the birth of the 4dr sports car is just insulting to all us 2dr sports car lovers. That's what I was saying. Leave the 4-door sedans out of exotic cars. We already have SUVs. What's next, Porsche pickup trucks?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #12

Eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I watched the vid and I think I threw up in my mouth a little. The roofline is way off for the rest of the car. The back end looks like it was designed to handle a "69 RB 571 Hemi. I understand that Porsce can't live in the sposts car world alone, but come on guys, lets make it a little better looking. I waited till I was in my late 30's to start my Porsche collection, and I don't see me waiting for decades to add one of these. I will save any extra garage space I have for more traditional Porsches.
I wonder if Porsche is going after the merket that the new Aston Marton seems to be building..............................now there is a car I want.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 AM   #13

I wish I had a dollar for every Cayenne I see around town, especially dropping kids off at our high school. The Panamera will sell very well to these demographics. I already know a physician friend who has two Cayennes, a 993 and a GT3; guess I'll also be driving in his Panamera when he gets it.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I think you misunderstood my attempt to be sarcastic. I know the 2dr sports car isn't going anywhere, but the birth of the 4dr sports car is just insulting to all us 2dr sports car lovers. That's what I was saying. Leave the 4-door sedans out of exotic cars. We already have SUVs. What's next, Porsche pickup trucks?

I did misunderstand you. But they already have Porsche pickup trucks.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9833876-1.html
Old 02-16-2008, 07:50 AM   #15

Haha Rick...you beat me to it!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #16

Uuuggghhh!!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #17

or this - http://jalopnik.com/355041/porsche-powered-vw-transporter

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote