Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2004, 06:43 PM   #1
Forum Contributor

I don't know whats wrong with my car ?

i think its an electrical problem but anyway ....when i turn on the CD player or radio after a while the music starts to chop and i hear these posses in the radio/CD and if i hit the brakes the front lights dim a little the same thing happens when i press the windows buttons its getting worse with time. it used to do that once a week or so now its happening everyday.

Can anyone Help ?!

Thanks

FL Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #2

You know, you may just have a buildup of corrosion on your battery terminals. Pop your front trunk, and inspect your battery.

It would not hurt to get the battery posts cleaned and insure you have a solid connection at all times.

It might also be your alternator going out, but this is just a guess on my part. Sounds like you need to get it into a shop before it causes you to become stranded on the side of the road.

There's nothing worse than seeing a Porsche sitting empty on the side of the road, in need of repair from a breakdown. Ugh.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #3

What year is your Boxster, it sounds like a battery that can't handle the load of your electrical equipment.

You could do some major damage $$$$$ if it continues.

Do you have your silver credit card for your radio code.

You will need it ASAP.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
Forum Contributor

it's a 97 boxster and yes i have the code for the radio. i am going to check my battery now.

thanks Randall and Scott for replying
Old 10-08-2004, 06:03 AM   #5
Forum Contributor

i checked the battery and evreything looks fine. .. :\
Old 10-08-2004, 07:27 AM   #6

You likely have a bad ground connection somewhere. Has your car been worked on lately? Look for a loose connection where ground wires are screwed to the body.
Good Luck
savinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
Forum Contributor

Savior

do you know where can i find these connections ?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #8

They are in various places. You would have to consult the Boxster schematic to find each one. Since it's affecting all those circuits I would check the cable from the battery to the chassis first. Don't just look at the connections. Take them off and clean them. You can't see the corrosion. Be sure to take off the battery connections and clean both the posts and the clamp with sand paper or equal.
savinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #9

"checked the battery and everything looks fine"

What I am referring to is not visible, it is internal as the inner lining becomes worst or less capable of conducting the neccesary load it will show signs of wear which you can check by removing it and having Kragen, Schucks any autoparts do a load test on your car battery.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #10
Forum Contributor

ok i will take it tomorrow to the dealer.

Thanks Scott
Old 10-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #11
Lux

Sounds like the alternator is going bad. Your battery shouldn't be providing any electrical power once your car is started. It's up to the alternator to do that. Better check the battery with a multimeter also. Since the alternator also charges the battery, if it's bad then the battery will start to go south too. Anything under 11.6V with the car off and the battery won't hold a charge. <---Going from memory with the voltage but I think that's the number.

Last edited by Lux; 10-09-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote