Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #21

I saw a blue Boxster up in West Bend WI today, parked at the business I was at (work trip)... . It was half white with salt and looked really sad sitting there backed into its spot... I almost wanted to call the humane society... haha.

Getting back to the pot holes...
I was driving on Lake Shore Pothole the other day and hit a patch of road! Doh.

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #22

I decided to drive my box down south to FL and lend it to me dad for the winter. (He isn't in to Pcars, so its not a thrill for him). You know where I stood on this matter of winter driving.

I figured the salt/corrosion and the higher risk of accident - both at fault and no fault warranted ditching the box for a season.

More I think about it, more I think I'll get rid of my beater civic and switch to only 1 car year round within 6-12 months. The Pcar tech I spoke with in upstate NY formly believed salt wasn't much of the threat and if I get into a wreck it wouldn't be the end of the world (unless somebody gets hurt) since an 01 box isn't worth much anymore....

Next winter baby, I'll prolly have her.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #23
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
I saw a blue Boxster up in West Bend WI today, parked at the business I was at (work trip)... . It was half white with salt and looked really sad sitting there backed into its spot... I almost wanted to call the humane society... haha.

Getting back to the pot holes...
I was driving on Lake Shore Pothole the other day and hit a patch of road! Doh.
Not my car, but next time you're up my way, yell....

BTW my favorite winter tires are Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. Handle like summer tires when the temps are below 40 degrees.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Winter+Sport+M3+DSST
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM   #24

Winter driving

I bought my 2000 boxster a few days before Thanksgiving. I only had a week or so before i had to store it. I was driving it when we got caught in a blizzard. It was early in the storm so it was just about 2 or 3 in at the time. I'll tell you though that i was all over the place. I couldn't keep it in a straight line even at 30mph! At one point we lost it and i did a 180 in the middle of the freeway.
I guess snow tires would make things better but i can't believe that it would help that much would it?
I've been driving here in Northern MN for my whole life and i have never driven a car that was so bad in the snow. I love the car! It's also the best car I have ever driven. i think that the tires are just too wide and given the weight of the car it tends to float and washout.
i'll drive my 4x4 blazer untill spring. And then i'll break that baby out.
Coolluke01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #25
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolluke01
I guess snow tires would make things better but i can't believe that it would help that much would it?
Your tires are the only part of the car coming in contact with the ground/snow. Tires make a huge difference, you can have a 4x4 with traction control and if you have summer tires, your going to do horrible in the snow. My car does not have 4x4 or TC, and I pass 4x4 regularly, because I have snow tires and they don't. So your bad experience was probably due to summer tires below 40°.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #26
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Put some smooth leather soled shoes on and go walk in the slush.

Try it again in a pair of snow boots.

Tell us if there is a difference.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah tires def make diff.
last yr i drove my car on bald summer tires...this yr on all seasons, night and day diff.
i can only imagine what it would feel like on snows.
but this is perfect for me tho, so its all good, although i do plan on getting some wheels for autocross so i dont f up these tires for street driving.

winters are fun, its what u make out of it, u just cant put a top down in some areas (well u can, but u really shouldnt hahah)

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote