Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V
Well if anybody is up for another TOD trip, we (a few friends) put together a big shindig on the first weekend of Nov. We are planning year 3 right now. Last year we had about 30 cars show up and we had a blast. The event is open to all, as long as you can drive like a human. Our little group gets "congrads" every year for our behavor.
If anybody here looks at Pelicans OT forum we make our announcements there. If Ya'll would like when it gets around to time for deatail I would love to share with this group. We only had 2 Boxsters last year, we could use some more.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6625194319279002437
This is an in car cam of one of our runs, the wife was driving. (It's her car)
The roads all around the area are awsome and the best part is the lack of cell phone coverage.
Thanks for the information but I need a few weeks after the TOD to let the adrenalin down slowly. A trip in November means I would come home to winterizing the car.

Have a great time!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think i may join u guys as well...looks good as of now
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i think i may join u guys as well...looks good as of now
Sweet! Make sure you get a room booked. Might consider seeing if Chills is still looking to split a room (unless you have someone joining you for the trip)?

BTW-The first autocross is April 20th so put it on your calendar. I can't wait to see how your car handles with the work you've done.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:59 PM   #24

Sammy,

Autocross? I would be very interested in finding out when, where and how to. It is nice to know that there are so many enthusiasts in Chicago. I have looked on the PCA website with no postings for April 20th. If you could forward me the info... I would be very much interested.

Djomlas.... I checked out your car on your website... nice!

Good to be here.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #25

Just did some autocross at Sebring down in FL that was an awesome time, hopefully i can do some autoxs here in chicago too i thought the first one was in august though?

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #26

For you Chicago people that aren't already on my autocross distribution list and want to be, please PM me your email address. I'll be happy to elaborate as to where, when, what, why, who, etc. We have a crew ranging from 2 to 7 people that typically will go to autocrosses (3 Boxsters, 1 M3, 1 shifter kart, 1 VW bug, and 1 240SX on steroids). Last year we even had a Viper grace us with its presence for one event.

Sammy
Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #27

Sammy and my buddy in the Viper :

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #28

OK, let's get this thread back on topic!

Tom Heard, owner of the infamous MR2 Spyder with the engine swap and carputer, a man who desires to spank any Boxster or Boxster S on the Dragon this year, said he's planning to make the journey with the Pcar boys again.

However, he wanted me to upload a photo of what the hillbilly cops are using to control speed on the Dragon these days. They got the idea from Saddam Hussein's published memoirs ... a man who never wanted anyone driving faster than he could drive:

Just kidding, of course. The cops aren't that bad on the Dragon and from what I'm learning, are targeting crotch rockets doing 80 around curves, not Boxsters doing 40 mph with drivers whose eyes are the size of saucers.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #29

So this trip to North Carolina is for Sept 6-7 ?

I should be able to make it. My other car club usually does a couple days track event at Pocono around this time to wind up the summer.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #30

I'd love to go too. I'll have to see about the dates.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:03 AM   #31

2000SoCalBoxsterS,
The date we settled on is the weekend of September 13.
Hope you still can make it.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #32

Boxsters love the mountains of NC! My parents have a house in Bryson City, (about 40 minutes east of the Dragon), so When you guys go, I will come out..

One sugestion for the trip:

28 between Franklin & Bryson city is better than the dragon.. the speed limit is 55!!

I was scrubbin' tires in the boxster & never made it over 45!

there is one danger, my 15 year old daughter was in the car & she got motion sickness!! Yikes!

right in the middle of these switch backs she put her head out the window & barfed!! she then sat in her seat & didn't say a word..

I said to her, "what was that?"

"I was barfing.."

I said "really? why didn't you say slow down or something?"

she said, "cause it was fun... and I didn't get any inside the car.."

"good girl.. now lets go wash the car..", I replied...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #33

Skip, you are a gentleman and a scholar for pointing out that new road on which to drive while we're in the area in September... Can't wait to meet you and drive with you!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #34
FTD

Thanks so much for the new road. I don't think I have played on it before.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #35
bmussatti

That road looks great! Skip, how far away from the Dragon is it?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
That road looks great! Skip, how far away from the Dragon is it?
Its about 40 minutes away from the dragon.. east... 28 is a nice drive through the whole region.. just watch your speed when you hit the 4 lane sections.. the state collects quite a few "donations" on those sections...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #37

I just got back from the Dragon - I was in Knoxville visiting friends and did 2 separate days up there.

It's been over 20 years since I drove that road. I grew up in Knoxville and we used to go to Fontana or camp at Calderwood (just below the cool old damn near the Tapoco Lodge). Amazingly, the speed limit used to be 55 on the Dragon - virtually impossible to speed. The road used to have very little traffic. We even towed a boat up the Dragon.

Thursday was packed - hundreds of bikes and a Nissan Z club must have been there.

Several cops - patrols are up. I was stuck behind a line of bikes on the way up (South). On the way back out (North) I had several open areas where slower cars pulled over (thanks!). Also, I had to pull over to let a crotch rocket go by. He was flying!

On my drive back home (Alabama) I went back up on Sunday morning about 10am. Much lighter traffic. Only saw one cop and he was driving North (I was heading South). What a blast! Rarely got out of 2nd gear.

I also had my first trip on the Cherohala Skyway. This is a must drive if you go. I saw no cops on the trip. Great views. The temperature and weather changes as you get to the top (about 5400 ft.) so be prepared.

There are 2 groups (129photos and Zeefoto) that take pictures of you as you go through some turns on the Dragon. You can then buy the pics off their website. I took a few as well and I'll post them here in a few days.
larryshomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #38

I am positively making this trip.

Turbo Boxster rides will be sold to reduce the out of pocket for gas, hotel, and beer.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #39

Gary,

I'll definitely take you up on that offer !

Nick

PS - For anyone that is going, let's be careful out there. The Dragon will bite you if you let it :

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138309

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #40

The dragon bit that cooper in the butt, hehe. Glad to hear that everyone was OK.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote