Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #1

Spoiler Problem

I have done a search but nothing I saw addressed my spoiler problem. When I use the footwell toggle switch to manually raise or lower the spoiler it only raises about 1 to 2 inches and then stops. I repeatedly raise and lower but never goes any farther. I swapped the 3rd and 9th relay but it still does the same thing. I will check back here for any suggestions.
Thanks
Bill

980ceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #2

How high are you expecting it to go? 2 inches sounds about right for the height. Although I have not measured it fully extended. When you use the foot well button it should rise automatically to the full extent with one push of the button. When you close it. You have to hold the button down to make it go back all the way down. Hope this helps.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:40 AM   #3

Spoiler Height

Not sure about your spoiler but mine used to come up a lot higher than 2in. That is not very hight at all. I used to manually raise it after washing to dry underneath. Now I cant get it high enough to get a rag under it.

Bill
Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #4

Yep, your right. I just went down to my parking garage and extended the spoiler up completely. I measured it with a ruler, it's more than 2 inches. Came to about 3.85" being measured from the base to the top deck of the spoiler. I'm thinking maybe your motor for the spoiler may be going bad? Not sure.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
EE3racing

when you use the manual button to raise the spoiler its critical you lower it all the way back down, check that. I doubt the motor is bad or the manual lift would be compromised as well.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #6

??????

I guess I am confused. When I use the toggle switch it only runs for a short time. I check the spoiler and it is hardly raised at all. When I retract it it does go all the way down. I know it used to run for awhile longer and raise a lot higher than it does now.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 980ceanblue
I guess I am confused. When I use the toggle switch it only runs for a short time. I check the spoiler and it is hardly raised at all. When I retract it it does go all the way down. I know it used to run for awhile longer and raise a lot higher than it does now.

Thanks,
Bill
Maybe you have a different problem then, I read once that leaving the spoiler partially up would prevent speed sensitive deployment. I know with mine, using the switch takes a little longer to deploy.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #8

Bill,

I am having the same problem, only going up about 1 inch or less and I just installed this motor drive assembly so it is frustrating. The old assembly was coming up crooked and getting hung due to the "push tubes" being damaged, so I feel like I've swapped one spoiler problem just to have another one now! Let me know if you've found a fix. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #9

On my 99:
If I press the toggle switch to raise the spoiler it only rises the duration I push the button.

When I need to relower the spoiler one touch is all it needs.

I just did this today as I washed the car.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote