Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

Car Alarm

Having problem with remote car alarm,seems like there is no range from the key remote. I replaced the battery in the key remote with no luck. I can be right next to the car and it works when it want's.

Any suggestions or replacments?

DMAN2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #2

not sure if this is a new problem for you or you're just tired of only being able to unlock w/ the remote when you're right next to the car. If "new", there might be an issue w/ your key's circuit board. Try your spare key to see if your original one is just wearing out as they are known to over time. Only recourse here is to replace the key head ($$) and get it programmed to the car by a dealer ($$$).

If it's not a new issue, there is a TSB for the 986 relating to "insufficient remote range". Here are instructions on how to remedy the problem. I did this on my '99 an changed my key from being a "right next to" to actually being a "remote" .

Remote Key Hack Extender by Stefan

The issue is the freq of the remote vs the length of the antenna wire (function of the freq). The full TSB calls for trimming the white antenna wire from the black sheathing to the 130mm (country dependent) length. Others have been able to get the fix by just exposing 130mm outside the wiring harness wrap as outlined in the hack by Stefan on the wiki (link above). Try the quick fix first, if not successful, then trim it.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 01-25-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

tHANKS

Thanks for the help...

Love the step by step instructions, makes me feel confident to fix this myself.

Awesome web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMAN2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #4

my 2000 S had the same problem until it no longer worked at all. Both fobs with new batteries did not fix the problem which places the problem with electronics inside the car. $140 for diagnosis with the 50k "machine" at the dealer with a likelihood of hundreds to fix.

I'll use the key old school and use my money for a new exhaust!

EB847 is offline   Reply With Quote