Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #1

Front jack stand points?

Hey hey... hoping to change my front brakes tonite... I can pull the front of the car up on ramps, but once there, where can I put two front jack stands to hold the front end up while I swap out the pads and rotors? FWIW, I am going with Hawk HP+ pads all around, and Zimmerman rotors from Performance Products. They had a killer deal on them during the holidays.

On the 944 it is easy due to the engine cross member... anyone got a pic or diagram?

Much appreciated.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
After you have the front wheels on the ramps, i'd place your jackstands under the factory jacking points behind the front wheels under the racker panel.

EDIT: Wait a minute, You will not be able to use ramps on the front wheels to change the brakes cause you will not be able to remove wheels cause the weight of the car will be on them while they sit on the ramps lol.

Also, if the car is on the ramps and you place the jackstands under the car.. you cant just roll the car off the ramps and expect the car to land safely onto the jackstands, and the ramps wont just side out cause the weight of the car is on them.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 01-15-2008 at 12:14 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

Don't worry, that much I realize. I've done more than enough swaps on my other cars to know that.

On the 944, I use ramps for clearance then do a little extra front jacking, and drop the front on two stands.

I take it then that there is no safe point in the center of the car that I can use to boost it more with the jack once it is on the ramps?

IE, I have to do it one side at a time? Lame. One more reason to love those front engine cars
Old 01-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
You can try jacking the wheel off the ramp by the lower control arm... its alittle odd but that will free that factory jack-point up so you can place a jackstand under it. I've done that before.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #5

With the Boxster being so stiff you can safely jack one side completely from the rear jacking point. Then place a jack stand securely under the front jacking point and lower the rear back to the ground. Repeat on the other side and you will have the front end off the ground to do both front brakes at once. Make sure the jack stand is firmly seated on the jacking point before removing the wheels and as an added precaution, place both wheels under the frame in case the jack stand gives way. I jacked mine this way several times. Good luck changing the pads - it's a pretty easy DIY.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I can't find the pic,but insite posted a pic of how to lay the front on jack stands w/o messing anything up.

It's in the thread 'impressions;lower stress bar',I don't think that's the thread's exact name but it's close.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #7

I had everything apart today... it is not that tough. I do prefer the wheel studs on my 944's as they make it way easier to mount the wheel again. And it is definitely a pain to jack that thing and get it on stands. I really really need a lift.

Only problem? Performance products shipped me Zimmerman drilled rotors that fit a regular Boxster, not the S-specific models. I even called them when I got them asking about the vaning and they said it's OK they are internally non-directional. Well, after I got in there and compared the rotors, the front ones they sent me are definitely not correct.

SO... I did not end up doing anything as I did not want to install new pads on the old rotors, which are VERY worn, knowing I would then have to rebed when the new rotors come. I basically took everything apart for fun, and put it back together again.

I have the correct rotors on the way, but I can't return the ones I have because I painted the hats. Anyone want a deal on drilled rotors for the BASE Boxster, with nicely painted black rotor hats?