Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #1

Buying a Boxster...

Interested in buying a boxster, it's a 1997 Boxster manual in white.

Here's a link...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=133889499

Can anyone tell me what I need to be looking for and what common faults if any they have and where I need to be looking to provide myself with an educated purchase.

Cheers.

deeveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #2

Congrats.. knowing you want a Boxster is the first step. If this car is local, at least go check it out in person. Get a feel for it. Then. DONT BUY IT. Go find other local ones within your budget and drive them. Get a feel for the options available and changes made over the years.

There are several posters here who have created there own FAQ guidelines. Before I knew of this board, I went to www.986faq.com very helpful. 1997 was the first year. Some say to avoid first year cars. others say jump write in. I personally wanted a 2000 or newer. Take you time. Learn a bit. ejoy the search.

When looking at cars, be sure to check under the front hood for the facotry option codes. Then you can determine if the car truly has options you desire.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #3

There is a lot of information on this forum. I suggest you start with the sticky thread (on top of this forum) called "Thinking of buying a Boxster? - MUST READ !". I particularly suggest the link to Mike Focke's web site, he's got pages of information and recommendations for new buyers. It helped me an awful lot!

Good luck.

Mike

\
Old 01-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #4

I second the comment on reading Mike Focke's page. I thought I had it goin' on with my own pages until I saw what he's put together. It's brillaint!

Drive a bunch of them and be very very picky. There's a bunch for sale and the prices on used boxsters are set at sublime and ridiculous levels and everything in between. There's no rhyme or rhythm for it as far as I can tell.

You will never regret buying the newest, lowest mileage S you can find. The larger engine and the glass rear window in the 03's and up makes all the difference in the world, I assure you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM   #5

I also found this one. It's not a Japanese import which means the mileage is genuine. I was wondering also if they had the 2.7 in that year?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=135805506

deeveus is offline   Reply With Quote