Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #1

Terrible News! Hit front behind.

I have a Porsche Boxster 987S 2007 with 4200 miles on it. Yesterday afternoon while sitting at a red light a van came up and hit my rear bumper. Destroyed the bumper and passengers rear light and appears to have bent some metal behind the bumper. The whole ordeal had made me sick.

I went over to the dealer who has a body shop and they showed me that the metal bumper squares that are located on either side of the license plate was bent downward. Therefore, I am really concerned that the chassis in the back could be bent. Has anyone gone thought this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #2

In the community, those squares you're referring to are known as the "Bumperettes". They are meant to deform during a collision and are almost always replaced. You probably don't have any "frame" damage if the collision was minor, but your body shop will have to decide.

I got rear ended in my '05 last year. Not a good feeling! Good luck!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey
I went over to the dealer who has a body shop and they showed me that the metal bumper squares that are located on either side of the license plate was bent downward. Therefore, I am really concerned that the chassis in the back could be bent. Has anyone gone thought this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
It'd really help out if you post a picture of this metal square you are referring to.

When I bent the metal reinforcement plate under the rear bumper I didn't think much at the time of the accident. When the shop took everything apart they found that the part of the chassis that connected to it had bent apart. The trunk also buckled as well. The bodyshop said they couldn't see why it couldn't be brought back to 100% but the car was totaled anyways(for other reasons related to the accident).