Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #1

FVD rear brake adapter kit?

I have been looking around the web for info on swapping over base 986 rears to S rears. This kit allows the fitment of S model brake shoes correct? What is required to make this kit work? S model calipers, rotors, pads, emergency brake shoes? Are any other ebrake parts required other then shoes? I noticed what looks like a large backing plate shim, and two other smaller square pieces I haven’t figured out yet. From other posts on the forum I am starting to think that the small square piece are to shim the originally base caliper to use with the larger diameter S model rotor. The rotor for the S model is wider so I’m not seeing how this is possible unless you get S model calipers or use thinner brake pads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

19000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #2

1) Since I am too lazy to google FVD, a Link would be helpful

2) Brake disks use PADS.. Brake drums use Shoes

3) You don't mention why you want S brakes on the rear. The fronts do about 80% of your stopping. Are you tracking/racing the car? Just want the "looks" of an S?

4) I would imagine that yes, shims and other methods to get the spacing correct would be required to get the rotor/calipers to line up correctly.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #3

Fully aware that discs don’t use shoes, but the ebrake uses a shoe style system that rides on the inside of the rotor hat. I was mainly concerned about which components were necessary to pull it off. It looks like all 996/986s shoes, springs and adjusters will be needed since the inner part of the disc (ebrake drum) is a larger diameter. I still don’t see how you can simply shim the caliper bolts/mounts and make a non S caliper work. Is there enough room in between the base models pistons to add that additional width of rotor and still get in pads? I see how the shims will raise the caliper to make it fit diameter wise.

Here is the link
Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #4

forgot to add- I don’t care about looks. The fronts are being substantially increased and so changing the rears, even if only by a little, is the very least I would consider doing.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the link.. sadly, I am not sure what I am looking at in the link. To me I see what I think are spacers. I would imagine you WOULD need Box S rotors and calipers. I don't believe you can drop spacers into the regular calipers to "widen them". In the old days, the calipers were a two pice but nowadays they are "monoblock" for increased strength.

Upgrading a Porsche is never cheap and no doubt, its part of the what, $15K price difference between an S and a Non-S.. all the little things you wouldn't think that were changed, but were.

I'm curious to hear about your entire braking component upgrade and why you are doing it! thanks.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote