Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #1

6 Channel Amp and PNP Speakers

I've been powering my PNP rear speaker kit with my CDR 220. I bought a 6 channel 996 amp on the "auction site" to replace my 4-channel 490 amp. Harvey sent me the wiring harness to add the amp to the system. (Harvey is very helpful and and his speaker kit makes a nice improvement to the sound of the stock system.)

The amp hasn't arrived yet, so I'm trying to estimate how much time it will take to finish this job. Rather than continuing to bug Harvey, I'm wondering if any of the folks who have installed a 6-channel amp can answer the following questions:

1. Is the add on cable that Harvey sent me long enough to reach through the firewall, or will I have to fish the cable from the rear speakers through the firewall?

2. As I mentioned, I've already installed the rear speakers to my CDR-220. If I have to push the cable from the speakers through the firewall, will the plug fit through the grommet in the firewall, or will I have to remove the plug and fish the wires through?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:07 AM   #2

Glad you finally got one. The ebay one I got from about 2 weeks ago has not shown up yet, seller says it is on the way. I'm no hurry because I do no have the rear speakers yet.

I have not seen Peck's kit in person, just the Porsche version. On the Porsche version with there is a 4 wire extension with a female connector on the end. This extension was designed for 2003-2004 models that have a 6 channel amp as the rear speakers are hooked up to the amp, not the back of the radio. But clever 1997-2002 Boxster owners have figured out they can use that extension when they put in the 6 channel 996 amp.

You unplug the brown male connector on the back of the radio for the rear speakers, then plug this connector into the brown female connector for the 4 wire/pin extension. Then you run the 4 wires/pins into the front trunk via the large rubber gromet above the gas pedal. If you remove your battery it is easy to see this gromet.

Then you put the 4 pins on the end of the 4 wire extension into the female connector that goes to the amp. You need to first check the male connector on the 996 amp as I bet there are 2 plastic internal keys you will have to cut away, or the Boxster female amp connector will not mate with the 996 amp male connector.

Make sure you put the 4 pins in the correct location, as they are a pain to remove unless you have the correct pin removal tool. Also note that apparently the pin location on a 1997-2002 is different than a 2003-2004.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3389

Last edited by Tool Pants; 12-30-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Glad you finally got one. The ebay one I got from about 2 weeks ago has not shown up yet, seller says it is on the way. I'm no hurry because I do no have the rear speakers yet.
I picked my amp up for $55 plus $15 shipping, so I think my total cost is about $9 more than the one you out bid me on. You seem to be a bit more experienced with Boxster modification than I am, so its probably good that you are going first on this.

I have a 2000, and the instructions Harvey sent me are showing + Right Rear to #5, +Left Rear to #6, - Right Rear to #15, and - Left Rear to #16. That seems to match what you posted on RennTech.

The cable Harvey sent me is just under 5 feet long including the connector, so I'm assuming that will be long enough to reach through the firewall to the amp. It's raining right now, so I don't feel like getting wet to confirm that assumption. (My wife's car owns the garage.)

If the cable is long enough, the toughest part will be pulling the radio and threading the rear speaker cable back down behind the center console. For some reason, my radio always balks at going back in the slot. Maybe relocating the rear speaker cable will actually clear some additional room back there.

Good luck with your installation and please post any insights you develop during your work.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 12-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #4

Don't wait for me. It could be a long time before I put in rear speakers, if I ever get around to it.

This is the extension piece that comes in the Porsche rear speaker kit. You can see it has the 4 pins that go into the amp connector. As I said this extension is needed for 2003-2004. Those 4 pins/wires are pulled through an X cut in the rubber gromet above the gas pedal, and over to the amp.

The original Porsche kit did not have this extension. When the 2003s came out it was added to the kit. For 1997-2002 owners that put in the 996 amp and buy the Porsche kit, this extension would be used.

I have Peck's pdf instructions and it is hard to figure out how to make the connection from the rear speaker cable to the amp. I can't make out the pictures in the pdf and I have never seen his kit in person. I assume he also sells an extension similar to the one in my piture and that is what you have.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:44 AM   #5

I just did this a couple of weeks ago. The add on cable is plenty long enough. The biggest thing is knowing what year/model the amp is, because the pin configuration is different. Harvey includes both configs in the instructions.
dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Don't wait for me. It could be a long time before I put in rear speakers, if I ever get around to it.

This is the extension piece that comes in the Porsche rear speaker kit. You can see it has the 4 pins that go into the amp connector. As I said this extension is needed for 2003-2004. Those 4 pins/wires are pulled through an X cut in the rubber gromet above the gas pedal, and over to the amp.

The original Porsche kit did not have this extension. When the 2003s came out it was added to the kit. For 1997-2002 owners that put in the 996 amp and buy the Porsche kit, this extension would be used.

I have Peck's pdf instructions and it is hard to figure out how to make the connection from the rear speaker cable to the amp. I can't make out the pictures in the pdf and I have never seen his kit in person. I assume he also sells an extension similar to the one in my piture and that is what you have.

That appears identical to the part that Harvey sent me. I'm not sure of the year that the amp I bought was manufactured. Here's a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=250198807159&_trksid=p3907.m32
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #7

That is eactly the same one that I got, from a 996. You want to use the alternate configuration sheet, not the main instructions. I was looking for my sheet but can't find it. Email harvey and I am sure he will send you which color goes in which numbered slot.
dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 PM   #8

I recently upgraded my 4 channel AMP to a six channel 996 AMP. I used Harvey's harness and ran it with the existing wiring harness coming from the AMP and then kept going past the battery and thru the plug above the gas pedal. Harvey's cable is exactly long enough to get through the fire wall following this route. If you upgrade your AMP be careful which model you choose as only the 996 AMP will work.

I have a CDR-210 radio in my 98 Box and after comparing the difference between the AMP driving the rear speakers and the radio driving them, I choose the radio as the AMP was way over powering for me. Having known this I would have swapped my original back, but I had already sold my 4x40 AMP on eBay. I have pin assignments for 996 upgrade if needed and pictures.

Tool Pants is correct that the OEM AMP harness is shorter. The OEM kit AMP harness connects in the trunk for both the 996 upgrade or the 2003-2004 models. The rear speaker wire goes thru the firewall above the gas pedal, past the moat containg the battery and into the trunk. Once in the trunk, you then attach it to the brown plug and the brown plug connects to the AMP harness.

I have sold approximately 20 factory OEM Rear Speaker Kits on eBay in the past several months and several installs over Craigslist locally in the Seattle area and can help with pictures.

Let me know. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 PM   #9

The amp you got on ebay, 996 645 323 00, is listed in PET for a 2001-2002 996 cab.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the information.

kbrandsma - if you have pictures and it is not too much trouble to post them, I'd appreciate them. When I did the initial rear speaker install, I had three sets of instructions (Porsche TSB, Harvey's and the one on Pelican Parts.) I think I understand the amp instructions, but I'd rather spend 10 minutes checking and rechecking instructions than an hour fixing a mistake.

dcompress - I'll double check with Harvey and see if the model year of the amp and the car make a difference. Everything I've read seems to show that + Right Rear to #5, +Left Rear to #6, - Right Rear to #15, and - Left Rear to #16 is the correct wiring. He didn't send me an alternate set of instructions, but maybe he assumed my car was a different model year.

Tool Pants - thanks for checking the part number. That will allow me to tell Harvey exactly what I have.

It will be interesting to see how this sounds. I'm not expecting a huge improvement, but it is a fairly reasonable cost in terms of dollars and time.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #11

Kevin,

Post your opinion on the improvement after the install. Would be interested to know what you think. There seems to be a 50-50 split on the merits of the upgrade.

I wanted to go with the 996 amp last spring. Had an amp purchased from OK Foreign, but it turned out to be a DSP Verstarker which was not right for my Box. They took it back but didn't have the one I needed. Never got around to locating another. Now that I'm looking to upgrade to a 987S, chances are I won't be doing this mod, but I'd still like hear your opinion.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I'm not expecting a huge improvement, but it is a fairly reasonable cost in terms of dollars and time.
Kevin,

I added the PNP rear speakers along with a 6-channel amp a couple of years ago. Sorry, it has been so long ago I don't remember any of the details to answer your original questions about installation. I do remember not being overwhelmed once I had it all installed. I think your expectations above are reasonable. It definitely sounds better than the original set-up, especially with the hardtop on. I think it is worth the effort as long as your expectations aren't too high.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #13

i have a 6 channel amp for sale...60 shipped
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #14

According to a post on RennTech, the connections for the 2003/2004 are different. Here's a quote:

"Originally, I inserted the pins for the rear speakers into the connector according to the instructions given by PnP (the rear speakers I installed), but these instructions were for a M490 in a MY 2003/4 Boxster - they said to use connections 3, 12 and 4,13."

The connections for a 2000 (and possibly all Boxster 97-02) appear to be + Right Rear to #5, +Left Rear to #6, - Right Rear to #15, and - Left Rear to #16.

The colors of the wires on Harvey's harness appear to different than those on the OEM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #15

6 Channel AMP Upgrade

Below is the information regarding an AMP upgrade from a Boxster with a M490 Option AMP (4x40 W) to a 996 Coupe - 6 Channel AMP (996.645.311.00 - 6x40 W).

My wire AMP apdapter was long and puts the female receptacle that accepts the brown plug just above the gas pedal. The OEM apdapters are very short and installation would be slightly different. I have pictures of that installation as well if any one is interested. I removed the front trunk carpet and battery to gain full access.

The cable comes out and into the trunk thru the rubber plug that is also used by the CD changer. You can see the cable can be attached quite nicely to existing wiring as noted above.

I also was installing a CR3 CD changer at the same time. I tied all wires to existing wire bundles and ran past battery tray and into the plug above gas pedal on drivers side.

When penetrating the rubber plugs, I cut small x's with an exacto knife at the top end of each plug. When finished I used clear silicone caulking to keep water tight integrity.

Below is the inside of firewall above gas pedal. You can just see the end of the female adapter that accepts the brown plug on the right side of photo. That adapter is the end of Harvey's cable. Having someone helping when you penetrate the firewall keeps the rubber plug intact. I actually pulled the wire from inside to the outside by running a stiff wire thru the rubber plug from the battery side and taped it to the cable and pulled it back thru.

At the AMP pictured below, Left Rear Positive+ (Red wire) is attached to #6 pin and it's Left Rear Negaitive-(Black wire) to #16 pin.

Rear Right Positive+ (Green wire) is attached to #5 pin and it's Right Rear Negative- (Black wire) to #15 pin.

In the picture below, PINS 6,16,5 and !5 are easy to find on the AMP. The circle indicates the guide or key that needs to be removed for the harness to mate up. I used a sharp wood chisel to shave it off.

Finished installation of CD Changer and AMP below:

Last edited by kbrandsma; 01-10-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Upgraded Pictures
kbrandsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #16

Garage
I have a 99 with factory amp. does anyone have the pin assignments for the plug? cannot get the door speakers to work. I am thinking the wires are severed and need to be replaced but want to make sure before I start dismantling the doors, again. I replaced the speakers with new ones and the outputs from the head unit are fine so it has to be in the wiring.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If you have the Bentley Manual, the pinout should be in the wiring diagrams.
Not sure how much different the 4 channel amp is, but here is the pinout for the 6 channel amp:

Amplifier Wiring Diagram for Nokia 6 X 40 Watt OEM - 996 Series (Carrera, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa) - RennTech.org Community
Old 09-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #18

Garage
Door speakers are working fine as many have pointed out the subwoofer arrangement in the doors is poor at best. I am now trying to attach the wires for the rear shelf speakers to the 6x40 factory amp. I have the female pins that go into the plug but questions is how do I get the pins with wiring into the plug? there is a Sir Tools ST9025 to do this I think question is if I buy one what do I do with it? Should I crimp the wire to the pin then use this tool to push it in from the back of the plug or do I pull the wire through, crimp the pin onto the wire then use this tool to push the pin into the plug from the front of the plug?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #19

My door speakers came alive ...

First I installed a 6X40 amp for 996 coupe. Nothing special.

Then I installed 6X40 amp for 996 cabrio. Door speakers are subwoofereing like never before

996 645 323 00

You can push the pins into the plug by hand. Just make sure you get the right slots, because it does require the special tool to remove them. (Removing is the only intended use of the tool.) Observe existing pins to help orient new pins when inserting them. They have to be rotated to the same position.

The illustration above regarding removing "keys" on the existing plug I think only applies to the particular amp that poster used. I think I maybe ended up removing all of them, or at least more than one. A single-edge razor blade works fine and I'd think wood chisel a bit of overkill. Just slice down the side and then wiggle until it breaks off.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 09-09-2015 at 09:38 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #20

Garage
Wink

thanks for your help. Yes, I got a cabrio 6x40 and door speakers actually worked! I pushed the pins in and it worked out fine. I was just afraid of breaking the plug! the NE concours is this weekend in Needham Ma and trying to get the car ready to show. its not a show car but l like a good parking spot!