Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #81

What you (I) can look forward to !

G'Day Eh !

So I'm new to this forum, had a couple of Cars.
2002 MINI Cooper - Dropped a Valve - Gone.
1990 Miata - Running Fine - But to Small - My head touches the roof.

Been interested in getting a Porsche for a while, and I *fit* in a Boxter.
So I'm trying to walk into this with my eyes open.

Been lurking and reading some of the threads here and wondering how much i'm looking at for yearly maintenance / repairs realistically.
I'm looking at a 2002 Sport Touring edition with 90K.
I'm going to ask have it taken it to a Porsche dealer and give it the once over.

Someone referenced Edmund's Cost of ownership - and it comes up with this.

http://www.edmunds.com/porsche/boxster/2005/tco.html?style=100510880

About 2k to 3k a year ?
I've done a fair amount of work on the last two cars, pulled all the suspension off, bushings, brake lines, pads rotors etc... - No Engine work

Can you work on these cars your self - it seems like it based on some posts - But Heck - I have yet to actually *see* the engine

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by DEye; 05-15-2011 at 11:41 AM.
DEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #82

Cool Interested in buying a Boxster

Don,
Welcome to the Forum, you sure are in the right place.. just a matter of time before you actually own one with an informed decision.
At least you are doing your research now, (before buying) than later (meaning you already bought one) !
There are a lot of respected individuals here at the Forum , and one of them is already in this chain of Threads, Mike Focke is his name and you can start browsing his article on buying/owning.maintaining one.. There are plenty of contributors in this Forum and names you would be familiar with as you get comfortable surfing the Forum...
At the end of all your research, it would still help to buy the best condition,well optioned and not necessarily lowest mileage car.. Color of choice would be yours.... and the differences between years... 97-02,and 03-04 and so on....
Good luck on your search.... you'll have this permagrin on your face once you own and drive one...
Happy Boxstering !
t2 (986 04S)
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #83

Ug...

The more I read about the RMS/IMS issues and their pervasiveness - the more I think of the MINI...
They gave me a *Free* engine - over 7k later it was installed
Except for them not filling up the tranny + 4K and wanting to change the ECU to put out the CE light - life would have been Good.

Now I'm not saying that I believe it will happen - but it sure sounds like a *could* happen.
Do I fell Lucky
That makes me seriously think about getting the Extended Car warranty ( if i can get it on a US car imported into Canada)
Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEye
That makes me seriously think about getting the Extended Car warranty ( if i can get it on a US car imported into Canada)
I looked into aftermarket warranties about 4-5 years ago, and you couldn't get them in Canada. You had to have bought the car from a Canadian dealer. Maybe things have changed...

As it was I did that - bought my 01 from a Canadian dealer, and I bought the extended warranty. Waste of money.

If you're handy and like working on cars, these are easy cars to work on in spite of the engine being "hidden". Between the Bentley manual and all of the uber-helpful folk on this forum, I started off with brakes (snap), have done a few other projects, and am currently doing a project that includes replacing water pump, low temp thermostat, "S" oil cooler, fuel filter, motor mount, and a brake/clutch fluid flush.

As I get more confident of working on the car, my plans are that when the Box is hibernating for the winter, I'll change the clutch, and at the same time do the IMS and RMS. I'll probably do the spark plugs and tubes at the same time.

For some reason I have no interest in doing this sort of work on my other cars - I just find it fun on the P-car.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #85
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Don, I have to second Clickman, if you are getting the bug to work on cars these are great, I got mine with 53K miles in Nov and have learn and enjoyed working on it so much. Getting warm in the garage and the weather is nice for driving so I'm slowing down my projects. I will say though I got a great car, when I look back on the records from the previous owner it really has been a great car, above average in repairs. I have found things to do because I wanted to do them.

If you are really worried about the IMS either plan on replacing it or buy one with the fix already. Once you get the car you'll get hooked and find so many things you want to do, or maybe not, it depends on your requirements. In my case i wanted a car to work on. If you are interested I'll PM you the history of my car...you'll see most stuff was just fun.

I ended up getting new rims (18 inch) and really love the car...once you get used to a convertible and every cars unique rattles or squeaks you'll start just feeling the car. I like driving mine most at night on smooth winding roads, I could just drive it for hours. I find by the weekend I find excuses to go for a ride. For me it is addictive. I have a bad back so driving to work hitting the clutch all the time is not fun so I drive the Benz.

The hardest thing for me now is avoiding big hits like Aerokits and expensive headers and cats.

Good luck!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #86

Thinking of buying a Boxster ? - MUST READ !

I can certainly appreciate the sentiments you both put forward, I got into the same spirit with the last two cars I've had, to the point where I started to wonder is I was too obsessed with the MINI to the point of turning it into an Object Art - looking every where for photo opportunities, and enjoying getting back into working on cars.

I have not given up on the purchase, just got a does of reality I guess.
I'll be getting the car checked out, and will indeed consider looking into getting the IMS job done ASAP should i take the plunge.

Thank for the support,
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
I looked into aftermarket warranties about 4-5 years ago, and you couldn't get them in Canada. You had to have bought the car from a Canadian dealer. Maybe things have changed...

As it was I did that - bought my 01 from a Canadian dealer, and I bought the extended warranty. Waste of money.

If you're handy and like working on cars, these are easy cars to work on in spite of the engine being "hidden". Between the Bentley manual and all of the uber-helpful folk on this forum, I started off with brakes (snap), have done a few other projects, and am currently doing a project that includes replacing water pump, low temp thermostat, "S" oil cooler, fuel filter, motor mount, and a brake/clutch fluid flush.

As I get more confident of working on the car, my plans are that when the Box is hibernating for the winter, I'll change the clutch, and at the same time do the IMS and RMS. I'll probably do the spark plugs and tubes at the same time.

For some reason I have no interest in doing this sort of work on my other cars - I just find it fun on the P-car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Don, I have to second Clickman, if you are getting the bug to work on cars these are great, I got mine with 53K miles in Nov and have learn and enjoyed working on it so much. Getting warm in the garage and the weather is nice for driving so I'm slowing down my projects. I will say though I got a great car, when I look back on the records from the previous owner it really has been a great car, above average in repairs. I have found things to do because I wanted to do them.

If you are really worried about the IMS either plan on replacing it or buy one with the fix already. Once you get the car you'll get hooked and find so many things you want to do, or maybe not, it depends on your requirements. In my case i wanted a car to work on. If you are interested I'll PM you the history of my car...you'll see most stuff was just fun.

I ended up getting new rims (18 inch) and really love the car...once you get used to a convertible and every cars unique rattles or squeaks you'll start just feeling the car. I like driving mine most at night on smooth winding roads, I could just drive it for hours. I find by the weekend I find excuses to go for a ride. For me it is addictive. I have a bad back so driving to work hitting the clutch all the time is not fun so I drive the Benz.

The hardest thing for me now is avoiding big hits like Aerokits and expensive headers and cats.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #87

2005 Porsche Boxster

Hey all,

I'm going through my quarterlife crisis and I am considering a 2005 Porsche Boxster with 29k miles on it. The folks are asking about $25,500 for it, which seems to be reasonable.

My biggest concern is I will get bored with the Boxster and really wish that I got the Boxster S. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a good Boxster S with low mileage in my price range (under 30).

Other question I have - do you guys absolutely recommend that I get a warranty? It seems like there are a LOT of people with IMS issues and other stuff. Which warranty do you guys recommend?

Cheers!
MangoTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #88
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
2005 is the only year I would skip...I'll probably get grumped at for saying that. Anyway here is a nice 2006 for under $30,000. I bought his original wheels and I would trust this seller:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29520

Myself I'm a 'S' guy, but the newer Boxsters (2005) have 240 hp which is pretty good. My 2000 'S' has 250 hp and it is nice. All depends how much straightline power you want...remember these are roadsters.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #89

Why are you against 2005? Because it's the first year after the redesign?
MangoTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #90
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yes generally, though with these cars there isn't a ton of change from year to year. The consumers data says it is below average that year though I'm betting they have so little data on these cars. Do some searches, see what folks think of their 2005. If you get the 2005 will you have any money left to fix it? Do you like fixing yourself. What type of service history do you have on the particular car you are looking at. Test drive a couple of different years if you get a chance and try the 'S'.

Hope to see you as an owner no matter what you get. I got the first year 'S' and seemed to have found a great car...very little repairs. Post pics of what you end up with!

Oh btw, that is a very good price...get a PPI and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by WhipE350; 07-28-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 AM   #91

take out driver seat

How difficult is it to take out the drivers seat. I need to have the seat repaired, it appears to have bottomed out, the previous owner drove the car for 8 years as a dd. The center piece is a bit lower than what it should be. Making the seat a bit unconfortable.
please advise, thanks in advance for your help.
peter.
75 914 red/black, carbs, fact. A/C, short time bad choice,(sold)
00'Mustang GT/vert red/tan 5spd. Aibach springs, 9&10,255/285(sold)
pjS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #92

sorry

I put this in the wrong place
75 914 red/black, carbs, fact. A/C, short time bad choice,(sold)
00'Mustang GT/vert red/tan 5spd. Aibach springs, 9&10,255/285(sold)
pjS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #93

Pj, it's just 4 bolts and an electrical connection. Easy peezy. Just remember to disconnect the battery first. That bottom seat foam can be swapped out...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #94
recycledsixtie

Garage
I congratulate anybody who is contemplating buying a Boxster that reads these forums. Thinking about what u are getting into before buying is part of the fun. The can I afford it factor is huge. The Boxster is no ordinary car. Questions to ask I think should be: 1) Do I need a warranty? I took a chance and did not get one. I put that money aside for repairs. 2) The newer the better. My 2001 is ten years old and expect to put in $1-2 k a year into it. 3) A ppi is a must. 4) Think about whether u need an S model or not? 5) Think resale. Manual or tiptronic? Tiptronic harder to sell but better in city driving. What options? eg . psm or not?6) Shoestring budget for a Boxster? Forget it. This is no Miata.This is not all inclusive but something to think about before buying. One more thing - consider the IMS guardian. Lots of info out there. Enjoy the research.!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #95

I just got a 81,000 mile boxster 2.7 maintance is up to speck. I have read
A lot about ims failure and that has me worried a little.
The previous owner had good maintance records. Car drives
Great and I believe it will make it over 100k. My last
Sports car was a 2000 Mazda mitia, I put over 150000 miles on this
Car the only problem was the automatic trang went out.
Every fun car. Hope this car is also.
Habu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #96

In general, the 2005 has the same engine as the 2004 but a different body. This is typical of Porsche with saving a new engine for mid-life kickers to boost sales and keep the body style selling. I wouldn't be shying away from a 2005. Go read a review from 2005 to see all the changes they made...some worthwhile. Of course style is an individual thing.

mikesporscheboxsterwebpages - mikefocke2 has a dozen articles on buying a Boxster.

Last edited by mikefocke; 03-31-2012 at 05:23 PM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #97

My ownership experience was one of the best and worst car experiences I've had.

I just sold my 2000 Boxster after owning it for 5 years. The least I spent on it in one year for maintenance was $2000. The most was last year and that was $6000 (new top, rear suspension failed, right rear axle, MAF, window regulator).

I've owned over 30 cars in my life and it was the most enjoyable car (not even close to the fastest) I've ever driven. It handled AMAZING with H&R clubsport coilovers, good tires, and aggressive alignment and, after desnorking it, it was also one of the most enjoyable sounding. I loved everything about the car except the ridiculously high maintenance costs, the $12k bill for a new engine always hanging over my head, and the fact that because of the engine issues, all M96/M97 engined cars will eventually be relegated to worthless status at some point.

I can handle the high maintenance costs, but having such a poor engine in such an expensive (when new) car is just unexcuseable and was the ultimate deal breaker.

I'm going to wait 4 years and see how the new 981 Boxsters hold up and pick up a nice lease return.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #98

thanks, this is very nice questions.
hasanulbanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #99

Use the right oil and gas

If you own a boaster you have to use fully synthetic 5w40 preferably Fuchs brand which is the factory fill in Germany. You buy a boxster in Germany it comes with fuchs5w40, that's what I use. Plus 94 octane gas is necessary with no ethanal and also use a Lucus fuel conditioner every 5000k, it lubricates fuel pump and cleans injectors. Now let's drive these Porsches the way the good Dr intended!
.lovemy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #100

Diving in!

If the pre-purchase inspection comes back clean, I will be buying my first Porsche Boxster S this afternoon! Going with a 2003 model with only $40k on it with good maintenance records. The dealer is asking about $22k which seems reasonable compared to what I've seen. This forum has been very helpful, so thanks for all the posts. I won't mind spending the SSS to keep it running the way a Boxster S should! There is always the concern about the IMS, but we don't buy these kinds of vehicles for their practicality do we! Looking forward to becoming a Porsche owner!

RTH52 is offline   Reply With Quote