Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #1

Clutch pedal hack

Hello,

I can not seem to find the hack that allows the Boxster to be started with out depressing the clutch pedal, does anyone have the link to this hack.

Thanks
Gary

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
Hello,

I can not seem to find the hack that allows the Boxster to be started with out depressing the clutch pedal, does anyone have the link to this hack.

Thanks
Gary
I don't know the link to the hack, but all you need to do is look under the dash, push in the clutch pedal and you will see the little switch that is pushed in when depressed. All you need to do is find a big enough tie wrap and zip it around the switch to keep it in the same position as it would be if you are pressing down the pedal and thats it. Its a 30 second hack.
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
just look under the pedal, theres a little metal switch when you press it, just have to zip tie it. you cant miss it,.
i love starting the car trough the window in summer time
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Easiest Mod ever, I love it. Just make sure your aren't in gear when you turn the key.
Here's the link:
http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/clutch_switch.htm
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Its easy and you need wire strippers, hmm strippers..... a cross screw driver and some electrical tape.

Unscrew the blue switch from the assembly and unplug the 2 wires from it. cut off the ends of the wires and strip about half an inch of insolation off them and twist together and tape it up and tuck it & tape it somewhere under the dash out of the way of the clutch pedal.

I did that hack afew weeks ago when i replaced my ignition switch. I still have the urge to press the clutch but Im excited to have one less click noise under the dash!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #6

Thanks for the help, everyone.

After all of these years I have to hold the clutch just right for the switch to make contact and the car to start.

This should make life easier.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #7

I am just curious, and please excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to install this? Other than a remote start system to warm/cool the box down.

Your going to have to depress the clutch to put it into gear and drive anyway.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:12 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
For instances like where the window is open and the door is shut and you just want to reach in and start it without sitting in the car... to allow it to warm up before you actually want to hop in.

If your working on the car and your going back and forth to start the car and then walking back to the engine after starting it, makes it alot quicker without having to sit down in the car to start it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
I am just curious, and please excuse my ignorance, but why would you want to install this? Other than a remote start system to warm/cool the box down.

Your going to have to depress the clutch to put it into gear and drive anyway.

I am doing the hack because over the past few weeks the car has gotten to be a pain to start. I have to hold the clutch down and then release it very slowly until the car starts, I probably need a new switch but this hack is easier.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #10

When I was 17 years old, I while tuning up my MG, I reached in the window and started the car. It took off and rammed my work bench. (it was in gear). Small amount of damage to the car. Absolutely destroyed the flimsy work bench. MG's didn't have clutch switches.

While I agree, it's annoying to push the clutch to star the car, the idea of my boxster taking off on its own keeps this from being a mod I'd consider.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
FTD

that would be very convenient, because I put the seat all the way back when I get out. If I want to start the car and let it warm up then getting in, adjusting seat, start, get out is a little bit of a nuisance.

Since I have driven manual transmissions all of my driving life, and have a habit of parking a car / bike in gear [along with parking brake], this would be a disaster waiting to happen for me - like the MG story. I know it!

Too bad. That's the easiest hack I think I have seen.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #12
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
When I was 17 years old, I while tuning up my MG, I reached in the window and started the car. It took off and rammed my work bench. (it was in gear). Small amount of damage to the car. Absolutely destroyed the flimsy work bench. MG's didn't have clutch switches.

While I agree, it's annoying to push the clutch to star the car, the idea of my boxster taking off on its own keeps this from being a mod I'd consider.

I hear ya and I totally understand where you're coming from, BUT.

No amount of technology will ever eclipse human stupidity. I have an old John Deere snowblower, you can turn the auger on and leave it on without compressing a tightly sprung safety handle. Frankly, I love it that way, I don't need a safety to know the impeller is dangerous as hell. Same with the mower, I rigged my safety off handle with a bungee cord, I know when I want the mower engine off, I'd rather not have lawyers and people like MALM mothers against lawn Mowers dictate the design of my machines.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
do what the rest of US does, put a big yellow warning sticker all over the car (including spanish) saying that its dangerous and you will be fine
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer311
I agree. A couple days ago I was all stressed out with a million business decisions on my mind as I got into my box. Went to start it and nothing. Wha?? Oh yeah, gotta depress the clutch first.

Thank god that switch was created for dummies like me, because without it, I would have modified my garage wall (and my box) that day.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
I hear ya and I totally understand where you're coming from, BUT.

No amount of technology will ever eclipse human stupidity.
That reminds me of an old quote that goes something like:

The world is in a race to make bigger idiots while technology is racing to make things more idiot-proof. So far, the world is winning
Old 12-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #16
EE3racing

I learned to drive stick at age seven. As part of an auto dealer of 70% stick vehicles, we were schooled to always check for neutral. I prefer to keep the discipline,as some of the vehicles I drive don't have the equivalent of "kickstand is down power off"."