Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #1

Inflatable Spare...

I recently purchased a 911 w/ inflatable spare. The air compressor is missing. IIRC from my earlier 911SC, the compressor was remarkably slow. As I have not searched out the appropriate 911 forums yet, I thought I would ask this knowledgeable group; what do you recommend I carry to inflate the spare? Any good portable compresspors come to mind? Can I carry a can of fix a flat?

Thanks,

jtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I hear the Fix-A-Flat is a mess, but I would rather have it than nothing. You should be fine with a $20 12V inflator from Target.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #3

I went to Sears and bought a portable compressor. Around $30. Use it on all the cars.

Fix-o-flat leaves a mess on the rim when you go to get the tire replaced.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
FTD

I bought a $30 plastic air compressor that plugs into the car power socket. I thought that alone made it a pain, plus it is annoyingly slow. Then I bought a metal ViAir compressor that I keep with me at all times. It has battery terminal connectors, is small, weighs about 3 pounds and is amazingly fast. I use it at autocross / track events. Models and specs are here: http://www.viaircorp.com/compressors.html
This is a very impressive product.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #5

Hey FTD...

That is what I am looking for, what model do you recommend and where did you get it? BTW, I see you ride a REX. I used to have a green one, but got hit by a car. Fortunately I was wearing the proper gear at the time...
Old 12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtucker
That is what I am looking for, what model do you recommend and where did you get it? BTW, I see you ride a REX. I used to have a green one, but got hit by a car. Fortunately I was wearing the proper gear at the time...
I will let you know tomorrow which model I bought. I absolutely love it, and with two cars and a bike, plus its compact, lightweight portability it is soooo convenient. Very well made, too. Plus it came with different fitments so not limited to tires.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtucker
Sorry about the loss of your bike. I have never been in an accident on a bike, but I bet the memories linger.....
Old 12-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #8
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I will let you know tomorrow which model I bought. I absolutely love it, and with two cars and a bike, plus its compact, lightweight portability it is soooo convenient. Very well made, too. Plus it came with different fitments so not limited to tires.
I bought the 90P model. Here is a photo that I took for someone to show them what I keep in my toolbag. Hopefully that shows its size, although it doesn't show off the compressor itself.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #9

Ftd...

Excellent!! thanks!!