Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #1

Navigation for a 2000 Boxster S

Question?

I have a 2000 Boxster S with the standard CD player set up. Can I put in the factory navigation into the car? What factory model navigation works, any pictures out there?

Thanks
GQ

GQ IMAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #2

not 100% sure, but you may need some custom modification to do that. have you ever considered one of those portable gps systems like garmin? thats what i use and it works very wll, and much cheaper
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #3

I am all for the stock look but by todays standards the stock NAV is outdated and hard to use plus I am unsure if updated maps will even be available.
Look at some of the really nice double din units and if you want a stock look check out the Becker Navigation Pro.

Good luck!

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #4

Traffic Pro Option

I was lucky enough to find an older (2002) Harman Kardin Traffic Pro for a great price. It looks identical to my CDR 220 except when the display is illuminated (there is much more info squeezed into the HK display) and gave me a reason to ditch the stink'in cup holders as I moved the climate controls to to top position on the dash.

For being 5 plus years old, the map data has not failed me yet. The only thing I do not like is that each time you want to navigate to a destination, the map CD must be inserted, which is a pain of you have a music CD in the drive. It reminds me of the early IBM PC's that you had to keep shuffling the 8 inch floppy discs to keep the machine running (no hard drive and miniscule RAM).

I do want to see if there are updated map CD's as the software is Navteq, a trusted source for marine navigation. I'll let ya know if I find anything.

Overall a great addition for my needs and does not draw a lot of attention to my stuff inside for the criminally inclined.

Mark
2001 Seal Grey 986
San Antonio, Texas

Last edited by mwh98; 12-20-2007 at 01:57 PM.
mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #5

using the factory nav from a couple of years ago is like walking into a night club with one of those big motorola flip style cell phones from 1991.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #6

There would be no reason (aside from cosmetic appearance) to install the factory Nav into your car. It will be a complicated, expensive process which will only leave you an outdated, difficult to use system.

Go with one of the Pioneer or Eclipse units and you will be very happy.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #7

I fitted, using Velcro tabs, a Navman S80 to a bracket which sits over the CD holder and is powered by a wire I ran from the fuse box ( I think it was C-10) thru the inside of the tray under the CD holder. It looks neat and works perfectly.Also it is easilly transfered to my wifes car. Be sure to stand the back of the Navman away from the CD panel by about 1/4 inch so that the speaker can be heard.
Also I chose the S80 because it announces the streetname with the turn instruction.
Merry Christmas to All.
Glenn
insatiable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
There would be no reason (aside from cosmetic appearance) to install the factory Nav into your car. It will be a complicated, expensive process which will only leave you an outdated, difficult to use system.

Patrick
I second that. FYI, here is the one I think that goes in the 2000 (it says 2001 but I believe it is the same, check with Becker directly or maybe Becker's website)

http://porscheaudiparts.com/detail.aspx?ID=240

Last edited by saaber; 12-19-2007 at 05:47 PM.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote