Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #1

My first Porsche/My first thread

Hello and Merry XMas to all. I recently purchased a Porsche from E-Bay. It came from Texas Direct near Houston Tx. I had it shipped to my home in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It is a 2002 Boxster S with 7,200 miles on it. It is Guards red with a black top and black leather interior. The only options are the 18 inch turbo wheels, and the Tiptronic automatic transmission. I paid $32,000 for it. I currently have it stored in my garage hooked up to a trickle charger. I am looking forward to spring! I have previously owned all GM performance vehicles including my 2004 Corvette that I sold to buy my Boxster. My question to everyone here is when I take my car out this spring, what maintainence is a must and what is recommended? I hope that I keep this one. I have had so many really nice cars in my life and always seem to give them away at the dealer. Anyways thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my first post. Enjoy the holidays, Michigan Boxster

Michigan Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
blkboxster

Congrats, that a great low mile boxster, Did you get a ppi(Porsche pre inspection)by any chance?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Ray

Congrats on the boxster! I live in Grosse Pointe Park, MI We will have to arrange a roadtrip in the spring!
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #4

Welcome to the board. That's a nice color combo!! There really is nothing like a red Porsche.

What maintenance you do depends heavily on what has already been done. With that low mileage I would say change the oil, check the tires, and take her out for a spin. Porsche's don't like to sit, and I would say even in the winter try to get her out for a drive at least once a week.

You'll have a lot of fun seeing Corvette's trying to keep up in the twisties
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #5

Technically, the first maintenance isn't due until 15k miles. I believe most people, including me, change the oil & filter more frequently than that. I usually do so every 7.5k or once a year, whichever comes first. With that car being almost 5 years old (even with the low mileage), I'd do the oil/filter change before driving it much, unless it has been changed recently. Most people use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, usually 0W40, though there are a few that venture away from that (Porsche tends to use the Mobil 1). Other than possibly checking/changing your cabin filter and doing a "visual" on the rest of the car, at 7200 miles there's really not a lot else to do yet.

Some links on Boxster maintenance:

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/index.html

(click on "Boxster Maintenance" on the left)

http://www.theschillings.com/boxmaint.htm

Look at your manual as well (hopefully you got one).

For ideas on winter storage, just do a search in this forum under "winter storage" (or just "winter").

Have fun with it. More fun than a 'Vette, IMO. (A guy selling a 986 S---one that I almost bought---was doing so because he wanted to buy a Corvette. I talked to his sister-in-law like a year later. She said he wanted to sell the Chevy to get another Box!)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:50 AM   #6

Garage
Congrats and welcome to the boards, great color combo. If you can, drive your new box on the sunny dry winter days. Keeping the mechanics working throughout the winter is the best way to avoid issues after a long sit. I would change the oil, top off the other fluids and inspect the car from top to bottom while I waited for Spring to arrive. Nice choice dropping the vette for a 986, here's one that couldn't keep up

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboyer
Woah, that'll buff right out!
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #8

2000-2002 was a very good vintage for Boxsters, full bodied with a hint of cherry and walnut.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #9

Congrats and enjoy!

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote