Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #1

Question Conv. top photo, is there a piece missing here?

Trying to track down source of a top leak. Drains looked pretty clean. In putting it back together, it looks like there is a piece of pan liner missing in the middle here. The thicker foam with attached vinyl is there in the middle but there is no 1/2" thick foam liner on top of the thicker foam for the middle section (notice that the 2 side 1/2" foam liners are there). Is there supposed to be a 1/2" thick foam liner piece in the middle here? Thanks for your help!

saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #2

Looks ok to me.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #3

I think the part you are thinking about is actually on the top itself. It clips into the little retainers on the cable ends and has a U shaped plastic piece. This part would cause water runoff to go to either side into the foam channels on either side, to the drains on either side.

What you're seeing in that picture is all you should see (minus the engine insulation/carpeted pad).

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I think the part you are thinking about is actually on the top itself. It clips into the little retainers on the cable ends and has a U shaped plastic piece. This part would cause water runoff to go to either side into the foam channels on either side, to the drains on either side.

What you're seeing in that picture is all you should see (minus the engine insulation/carpeted pad).
Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks very much.

We had a major deluge 2 weeks ago and the car was parked on an incline with the front of the car facing uphill. I guess those two factors are what caused the problem because I have never seen it leak before. I will keep and eye on it and waterproof the top also as I haven't done that for quite a while.

Thanks again. Also FYI my reseach on the internet and elsewhere found that the best way to kill mildew before it gets started is white vinegar. I was able to dry this spill out right away but used vinegar just in case...

saaber is offline   Reply With Quote